feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore the conventional wisdom that says "if managed properly they shouldn't need it" that's just rubbish trotted out by people who would rather see a colony perish than flourish.
I'm inclined to think thats its more likely to be trotted out by those who have bees which do survive without being fed. I doubt there is a single person on here that would choose not to feed their bees if they thought that they would die if not fed, hence thousands of questions on here regarding feeding.

-"if managed properly they shouldn't need it" that's just rubbish trotted out by people who would rather see a colony perish than flourishing

Amazing how people cannot read of read in context. It does not say "will not"; it says "should not". A subtle difference that is far too subtle for some.

Let's look at it sensibly. Hives with adequate, or more than adequate, stores going into winter should get through the winter on those stores. Clearly a lot don't as they seem to need emergency fondant feeding.

One hive beekeepers. They are the ones to panic or fall short of autumn targets. Unfortunately many have no experience and have no other option anyway.

Two hive beekeepers. I wonder how many attempt to get two full colonies through the winter even though they are too weak or poorly stocked with bees. Far better to reinforce one colony, feed it full and leave it alone. The other colony should then be treated as a nucleus which often do need more attention than larger colonies. Unfortunately it rarely happens ad it should. I wonder if many new beeks even think this way.

Three or more colony beeks. They should have at least two strong colonies to over-winter. But do they? Well managed or not so well managed?

Beeks with more than three colonies - these are more likely to rationalise their colonies ready for winter, more likely to successfully take the odd nuc, or more, through as insurance, and should be much more confident/able to manage their bees properly.

Seems these days that there are a lot of inexperienced beeks who have quickly expanded from one to four plus - but all weak - in double quick time, who think taking four or more weak colonies into winter is the way to go. Is that good management or not?

It is not. Weak colonies are the ones that do not take the autumn feed quickly, do not manage to draw all frames and/or fill them while brooding sufficient winter bees, are potentially less healthy, etc, etc.

As the poster rightly said "should"; as for the response, well just not thinking or unable to read posts accurately. Beekeeping needs careful thinking and organisation (management). Sometimes it is lacking.

RAB

There were a number of large commercial beeks, who lost a lot of colonies last winter explain that somebody!

There were a number of large commercial beeks, who lost a lot of colonies last winter explain that somebody!

Post code lottery in many cases, but 2012 season was one of the worst seasons in living memory for many,dud queens, general lack of pollen, and young bees produced for winter, so many colonies with old bees going into winter, with few if any young bees, lots of these old bees hung on until around mid February (past their sell by date) with tiny clusters, continued freezing weather and still no pollen, coldest late spring for 50 years, which went on well into May.

Last edited:
Thanks Hivemaker,
To all the newbie bashers on the forum I would like to point out that these are the conditions all beeks have to work under, so didn't we do well?

hi dishmop because I only saw half of his body going back over fence police says it hard to prove it was him but I know it was so they say they cant do anything about it not seen him in garden since

Last edited:
hi dishmop because I only saw half of his body going back over fence police says it hard to prove it was him but I know it was so they say they cant do anything about it not seen him in garden since

I hope you told all the neighbours.

Would you like some copper nails sent?

I am at the stage now where all my hives and nucs have a single bag of ambrosia fondant on. If they want or need it they take it and if it's empty I replace it. Did similar last year and about half of the hives hardly touched it, the remnants I watered down and fed as syrup.
As and when the weather warms I will ensure there is space for laying and as last year remove frames of stores if I need to, I find these very handy for nucs, splits and swarms.
Yes of course it's not proper management feeding fondant willy nilly but it's worked for me so far. I will as I gain more experience have more confidence to just feed the lighter ones but for now they all get it.

hi dishmop no I did not tell all the neighbours but they all know they heard me shouting and flipping and flopping so to speak lol woke neighbourhood up air was a bit blue

hi depearce4 thanks for offer for copper nails but have you by any chance got a hand grenade think that would be better 1 will be enough
thanks denise ps will gladly pay for postage

hi depearce4 thanks for offer for copper nails but have you by any chance got a hand grenade think that would be better 1 will be enough
thanks denise ps will gladly pay for postage

I will ask some of the pupils tomorrow, knowing the arsenal of weapons they have im sure one will have a hand grenade or some other sort of explosive that they would let me have as they all love the idea of keeping bees and love the honey I take in for them.

Pete D, I do exactly the same as you and it works for me also, so stick with it.

To everyone else, empty boxes do not achieve my beekeeping objectives, if they do yours then good luck to you.

Pete D, I do exactly the same as you and it works for me also, so stick with it.

To everyone else, empty boxes do not achieve my beekeeping objectives, if they do yours then good luck to you.

Last year was a bad one. Luckily I had put on fondant early (straight onto the bars)during a cold snap when frosts started, but before snow arrived. I live on the outskirts of Sheffield and quite high on one of the seven hills. so i made a 4 inch insulation cushion and placed it on top of the fondant. My bees survived. At the Botanic Gardens where I volunteer it is much warmer than where I live. Their bees all perished. Their fondant was put on much later and in a much colder temperature They had no insulation. I would be interested to hear from other beeks in Sheffield and surrounding areas as to what conditions they had and they did and whether or not their colonies came through. We also had a starvation period when swarming conditions had started.

Back