Feeding in Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And so I have a clear understanding, the order of things are:

Brood box
Crown Board
Fondant
Roof

I dont put it direct on the frames then put an eke on then crownboard?

And from Easy Beesy post the bees work upwards when eating?

Thanks

Looks upside down to me :)

I do that on all mine but I place a super on top of the CB. The fondant goes over the hole of the CB and then a cloth sheet over the fondant. Finally I add the super and fill it with insulation that can breath - roof on top.

If you want to sleep easy on stormy nights then strap them up too.

And so I have a clear understanding, the order of things are:

Brood box
Crown Board
Fondant
Roof

I dont put it direct on the frames then put an eke on then crownboard?

And from Easy Beesy post the bees work upwards when eating?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jezd

What insulation do you use?

I looked at all sorts but in the end needed something that was easy to do over large numbers of hives, I use a large poly string type onion bag (very cheap, like 5p each) and fill it with a rectangle cut shape of loft insulation - B&Q plastic recycled loft roll type. It then molds itself to the space in the super/fondant and can be stored and reused each year.

Just something I dreamt up.

I do add a sheet of cardboard over the fondant first to deter bees getting trapped in the onion netting too. After recent checks in stronger hives bees do like to come up above the CB sometimes in large numbers its that cosy.

Jez

If the insulation has rock or glass fibres in it, that could get into the hive, that is bad news.

Someone on here said they use strong plastic bags, double thickness. I would not advocate that approach where the insulation is removed and replaced on a regular basis - damage will occur,sooner or later. I only use fibrous insulaion contained in bags behind a fixed panel which will likely not be removed for some years hopefully. No movement, sealed, so very little risk.

A sheet of expanded polystyrene is much more appropriate, IMO. That is what I use and each has a removable piece (in the feed-hole area) which can acommodate the shape of my feeding tubs, while retaining insulation over the crownboard.

Regards, RAB

:iagree:
I use Kingspan with a partial cut-out to accommodate a pack of fondant, an idea pinched from RAB up there.
I have also used the same material with the raw edges taped with silver foil tape to dummy the smaller colony.

If the insulation has rock or glass fibres in it, that could get into the hive, that is bad news.

Someone on here said they use strong plastic bags, double thickness. I would not advocate that approach where the insulation is removed and replaced on a regular basis - damage will occur,sooner or later. I only use fibrous insulaion contained in bags behind a fixed panel which will likely not be removed for some years hopefully. No movement, sealed, so very little risk.

A sheet of expanded polystyrene is much more appropriate, IMO. That is what I use and each has a removable piece (in the feed-hole area) which can acommodate the shape of my feeding tubs, while retaining insulation over the crownboard.

Regards, RAB

No idea why you quoted me and then went on about other ppls activity.

1. I use B&Q recycled plastic insulation for the bulk
2. I used cardboard sheets to separate the bees and keep warm (cheap, keeps them warm, is a barrier)
3. The insulation is placed in an onion bag type container to keep it together

It works for me, its not perfect but then its a balance.

Polystyrene does not work for me in this situation.

I will post a picture.

Last edited:
No idea why you quoted me

I quoted you because, if you are using loose, fibrous insulation above a beehive, I actually think it needs to be brought to the attention of any newbies who read that and might be thinking 'what a good idea'. Was I wrong in my thinking?

What you do is up to you, but I still happen to think it is bad news IF you have unconstrained fibrous rock, or glass, wool over the bees. Maybe ideas need to be tested and checked for flaws after 'just being dreamed up'.

RAB

Hi again nick
There is no hard and fast rule about the "order of things". If u want to put an eke on the frames then a crown board so be it. I don't because I'd rather the bees had the least amount of space to heat. I feel that if u put fondant in then eke then crown board there will come a time when bees are open to the crown board as the fondant disappears. It's just my preference. You'll find there are many more answers than questions and u will have to choose the option to suit ur circumstances and ur bees.
Eb

Thanks for that.

I have b&q space blanket insulation stabled to the top underside of the roof, about 2 layers. Its like a foil type thing.

Would this be suitable to insulate the super where the fondant will be (crown board underneath).

Or do I need something like screwed up newspaper there instead?

I use same directly over fondant no probs .
If newspaper is used, expect to find it chewed up and dragged all over including being posted though the omf .

John Wilkinson

I use same directly over fondant no probs .
If newspaper is used, expect to find it chewed up and dragged all over including being posted though the omf .

John Wilkinson

That is true, a few of my hives have taken the chance to chew the carboard too - fine by me as long as they are happy :)

Once left a small gap in feed hole cover on a hive, next visit the little bu**ers had turned a large chunk of my record card into dust, literally dust . It was a pink card, I kept examining the honey for a pink cast to it :rofl::rofl:

John Wilkinson

Just had a peek in my hives to check fondant, bees in the container munching away.:)

I did the Oxalic treatment today.

However I have 11 frames in the brood and they were together so tight I couldnt really see down to the bottom.

A few bees popped up to say hello. I have some dead bees around the entrance so I cleared them out.

Overall I couldnt really tell how they were doing. The hives did hum louder when I took the crownboard off.

I didnt want to keep it off longer than necessary so I did not carry out a detailed look. But the frames were too drawn out / propolis to really see.

I will put fondant on in any event. I did have a heft and it seems quite heavy but I do not know what I am comparing it with!

Bought a box of fondant - £18 - decent price?

I have so say it tastes just like icing sugar - very yummy.

£18 - decent price?

Might depend on how much is in the block?

Ask Beebreeder. He might think that would be a very good price - for the seller.

RAB

Good price

£18 is what it cost in Cranleigh too.

good /bad price depends upon personal time, effort etc.

for me it was easiest to get what i could when i could rather than shop around.

Latest posts

Back