Feeding fermented honey to bees over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazsheehan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there

We were gifted a large tub of honey which had been extracted from stored wet supers. It has obviously begun to ferment and I understand this is called bakers honey. I have been a bit nervous about feeding it to bees for over the winter. Can anyone advise as to whether it would be safe to do so?

Thanks in advance

No I wouldn't.
My mind boggles at where it came from.
If you are inclined then make mead....... but it's good to eat yourself, to to just cook with it. Just apportion it into smaller containers, put one in the fridge while you eat it and the rest in the freezer

The danger is the spread of disease from the hives that gifted it

Hi there

We were gifted a large tub of honey which had been extracted from stored wet supers. It has obviously begun to ferment and I understand this is called bakers honey. I have been a bit nervous about feeding it to bees for over the winter. Can anyone advise as to whether it would be safe to do so?

Thanks in advance
First off you don’t as a rule feed a liquid feed during the Winter, once chilled bees will refuse it.
I certainly wouldn’t feed fermented honey particularly in the Winter!
Don’t feed bees honey from multiple hives. In particular don’t feed honey from others bees.
Why feed fermented honey from another beek at all when syrup or fondant will do the job.
Finally if a beekeeper gave you the fermented honey for the purpose of feeding another’s bees I’d run a mile from any other advice/contact😂

Last edited:
Disease is the main factor, in essence only feed your bees with your own honey. Otherwise make up your own syrup feed, fondant or use a propriatary made one.

and let's not forget that at this time of year, even if you were happy as to its provenance - if there was a mild spot and they took it down, there's a good chance it could trigger dysentery, which could wipe out a colony midwinter

I know someone who used fermented honey as an autumn feed because they had the tub and didn't know what to do with it but didn't want to waste it.

The bees got dysentery, survived but really weakened. And that was in September when they were flying freely so you can imagine the consequences at this time of year.

Latest posts

Back