Feedback on Bees Supplied Through the Post

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a child a nuc of bees arrived by night train at 6 in the morning (and before anyone asks it was not a steam train), so a gentle journey at night. Much better than being chucked in a van.

At least one carrier nowadays uses a carousel for their goods and handles items badly and have a reputation for it. Sign the box 'received in good condition' and they laugh when the bits inside are smashed. Can't sign for bees as 'unexamined'.

I believe your request is flawed. You are asking in the wrong place and are unlikely to get any (or many) sensible reponses from a forum such as this.

Right . You are talking 'package' bees and nucs mainly (not many would send full colonies in complete hives!)

You are not really talking 'post' as much as 'carriers'. Colonies are probably not accepted by the Post Office, Royal Mail, or whatever they call themselves.

That might leave Parcelforce and the multitude of carriers in the frame?

You should already know if packaging by the vendors is to a satisfactory standard, or not. Such things as melted wax is either sheer stupidity on the part of the vendor or negligence on the part of the carrier.

This simply boils down to the basic chore of you getting the information you require from the vendors, surely? They will have the statistics of claims they will be making, or have made, to the carrriers.

The un-named supplier (I am assuming I am thinking the same supplier), for instance has already related, in the past and possibly the present, too, an on-going reluctance to use carriers for bee deliveries because of previous problems. So not a current problem there. History. Past experience.

So surely the gain from this forum post is a pittance - you should be asking the suppliers for this sort of information. At least that way the information would not be duplicated.

About twenty replies and zilch so far. I really think you need to bark up other trees, not here. There is a list of suppliers somewhere, I am sure. That would be a far better way to go.

RAB
Thanks for that rather boisterous reply and you seem to have got your 'underline' key stuck a couple of times!

You are missing the point and I agree with what someone else says about suppliers not readily owning up to when thier cargo arrives trashed. As you say it is more to do with 'sheer stupidity on the part of the vendor or negligence on the part of the carrier' and that is the bit that interests me. Bees being harmed in transit which is surely somehting none of us wants to see.

I am simply asking if anyone has had experience of bees turning up dead or in bad shape.

I'll stay on the forum ... that is if you don't mind?!

No problem with you staying on the forum. Just saying that you don't seem to be working in the most efficient direction. The suppliers know which carriers are to blame.

This will be post 24 (or more) with no progress, I suspect. Great of you asking, but there doesn't seem to be anybody out there responding.....

Here is a positive suggestion, but likely as not you would get less response than here - try the other beekeeping forums (not seen this on downs*zer, the cracked-egg dish, the Scottish one, the one that almost copied this forum name, the allotment holder's, etc, forums. Tried the top bar lot?

Or is this the test bed?

Even me being 'controversial' or 'boisterous' is likely to enhance the number of positve responses for your cause. But be patient, some might come out of the woodwork, yet.

RAB

Overnight travel and Open Mesh Floors and travelling screens should be compulsory for bees travelling.

It won't stop mishandling but will stop suffocation.

No experience to relate for OP as collected ours and drove overnight.

No trust in carriers full stop.

Last edited:
Last year we had some queens that went missing, they were sent through the post office. So replacement queens were sent out and they took 18 days to be delivered. Most of them were of course DOA - but one did actually make the journey and went on to head a super colony this season in the UK.

We found out earlier this year that someone had been apprehended stealing mail sacks from the airport and admittted that over the previous year he had stolen over 100 mail sacks - some of these he binned and some he returned whenever he could. So obviously the second batches of queens were in a bag that was returned by the thief.

Over the years we have had boxes of queens that have been opened and all the cages taken out of the shipping battery boxes and then all the cages just dumped back into the larger posting box. We have also had all the paperwork removed from packets for no apparent reason.

I think that some shippers leave a lot to be desired in general

Bought a queen a couple of weeks back and paid the PO an extra £8 for next day delivery as I knew I'd be home. Of course she failed to be delivered on the day, some pathetic excuse about the address being illegible (it wasn't).

Next time I'll save my £8 and trust that she gets delivered with the normal postie.

"paid the PO an extra £8 for next day delivery. Of course she failed to be delivered on the day"

you have of course claimed compo for failure to fulfill guarantee? should at least get P&P back and should have a go at claiming for cost of HM too. was this one that survived insertion?

"paid the PO an extra £8 for next day delivery. Of course she failed to be delivered on the day"

you have of course claimed compo for failure to fulfill guarantee? should at least get P&P back and should have a go at claiming for cost of HM too. was this one that survived insertion?

To be honest I lost interest when finally getting the queen, but suggested to the supplier that they were welcome to claim the £8 back if they wanted.

She survived the extra evening in the sorting office and was last seen strolling into the lions den.

I must be lucky. One nuc (courier) and two queens..(post) all safely delivered.. no issues.

I don't know about couriers but I do know of one vendor who arrived at the BBKA Spring Convention with a load of nucs for sale.

The nucs were crated and ready for sale. However, the vendor did not have a water spray to help the bees keep cool in their period of confinement....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back