Feed and treat for Varroa at the same time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolabelle1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We have been recommended to use Apilife Var against Varroa so plan to treat next week. Is it ok to feed at the same time, as we have a very strong colony and I don't think the honey in the brood box will sustain them for four weeks. They have a super of honey half full but I understand we need to remove that when we give them the treatment, although we plan to put it back on afterwards or can we leave the super on and put the Apilife between the brood and super? Any advice would be appreciated. This is our first colony and they are in a National. We also have a mesh floor and I understand we need to leave the varroa floor in when we treat. Do we need to seal/tape up the back as there is a small gap between the board and the hive. Many thanks

A bee inspector informed us last week that you can feed with apilife var on - they may be reluctant to take the feed but you can.

Put the apilife on top of the frames, then cover board, then feed.

I have feed on 2 hives drawing frames and they have taken donw the feed no probs despite the smelly thymol!

Regards, Floss

Thanks Floss, that is useful to know. I guess if they get hungry they will take it, rather than starve.

Latest posts

Back