Favourite beekeeping memory???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only coming up to my second year so little experience but watching my first nuc pour out of the entrance like a river,standing in the middle of a cloud of swirling bees and catching them on a nearby bush.
Both doing well so far :) :) and out in the sunshine today.

Tipping the first swarm I collected onto a sheet covered ramp in front of a hive and watching them spread out like thick liquid, then slowly begin to walk into the hive - a walk that became a run and finally a "Jan sales" dash - and seeing the queen go in too.

That was 30+ years ago and I still find it fascinating and my preferred way to hive a swarm:cheers2: Mike

My first hives had really swarmy Carnie queens which would try and bugger off if the sun blinked at them. I remember watching and thinking 'now what do I flippin do ' or words to that effect as the air filled with bees from three , 2nd year hives which swarmed at once !
After the initial panic (from me) they settled into their respective groups which I then easily collected up. Taught me, as Lance Coporal Jones used to say 'dont panic Mr Mannering'!!!
This has stood me in good stead ever since to have patience they know what they are doing even if I dont!
Cheers
S

PS got rid of the last of the Carnies last year, wont miss them

Bringing home my first colony.

Long past summer evenings in the bee shed with my mentor (now sadly deceased) uncapping and extracting whilst he regalled me with stories about the Desert Rats....Gulp....I've gone all misty eyed...great man, great days.

Cazza

Sitting in the kitchen, making up supers in front of the aga with a 3 year old, two puppies, a pint of homemade cider and Glen Campbell for company.

(OK, that was just now, but a happy time nevertheless)

I guess it has to be taking my bee practical, having the hive swarm and being already trusted by the examiner to close up, she found another hive getting advice from the course tutor, watching my wife (passed the previous week) and tutor wonder off to collect the swarm and being very chuffed with wife going off into the cloud of bees going to hive getting through it all and hearing the compliments the examiner muttered about me to the course mentor. all in all a great day. Many years before the similar compliment from my then Mentor who having watched me watch ants take a blue buterfly catipilar into the nest he asked would you like to see bees at work I said yes, and the following week was delving into a hive, he said yup youll do I stayed looking after bees with him for the next 7 years till I got a job in hampshire (Marwell Zoo)

Watching the honey flowing from my extractor for the first time.

Baggy

Sent from my ZTE-U V880 using Tapatalk

Definitely being stung for the first time by a honeybee, wasp stings are so last decade!!!

Plenty of good memories then.

I havnt started beekeeping yet getting a five frame nuc in May so I suppose getting my first bees will be a great memory.

Steve

It wasn't me that was the beekeeper, but I have a clear memory of walking past a wooden box when I was very little, and remarking that it smelled of honey. I was told that it was a beehive - which I didn't believe!! I was then laughed at with great hilarity when the lid was taken off the box and a slab of comb lifted out, to my huge astonishment! I was instructed to gently brush the bees off the comb ("like stroking a cat which is very shy and might scratch"), which I did with no ill-effect. We took the honeycomb back with us, and I spent hours dreamily picking the caps off the little hexagons and hollowing out all the honey...

I've had a soft spot for honeycomb ever since, as opposed to strained honey. It's the perfect gift for anyone who likes playing with their food!

If you dont mind me asking how did everyone get into beekeeping?

Just looking to see if there is a variety in the answers.

Steve

If you dont mind me asking how did everyone get into beekeeping?

Just looking to see if there is a variety in the answers.

Steve

Kicking and screaming Stephen lol. I run a Gardening Club at my kids school, and was successful in winning a grant for the equipment and set up. One of the parents had done a bee keeping course and thought it would be great if we had bees at the school. They approached me to get the funding, which we won, and ahead it went. It took a year to prepare the site, during which summer came and my son saw me run screaming from a bee trapped in my front room. He asked me how I was going to be a bee keeper if I was scared of bees! I hadn't thought of that lol. So I decided I'd stay on the management side of the project, but leave the actual bees to someone else. On the day of the introduction to bees, I was coaxed into attending as it it was the culmination of all the work we'd done. It involved a hive visit. I had to be almost pushed down the path and held up, but once the hive was opened I was in awe. Terrified, shaking, legs like jelly, but in awe. Hooked ever since. I got over my fear, and now am cheif bee carer with the help of my mentor who is seeing me through our first year. I wouldn't be without them now. Wasps still have me running for the hills batting around my head and screaming though, I'll never get over my fear of those horrible things.

My first ever inspection- aged 11. Was wearing a boiler suit full of holes, got stung 15 or so times, and have loved it ever since!!!

Ben P

A bit like Ben, but longer ago. Helping dad- protection in kit form held together with string, not very effective- left me nervous but fascinated. Now I've gone back to it but with a proper suit, fascinated but no longer nervous.

Latest posts

Back