Faulty queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbury

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just found that queen was in the super so on examination found the most beautiful brood and then to find the queen. Yes I found her dead jammed in the Q excluder and with 3 Q cells with larvae.
This is a mustard yellow plastic and bought last year. From a Ths agent .
Rumour has it that there was a bad batch. Is that true?
Queen obviously got up when slim and when fatter could not get down to the brood box.
Any confirmation of the rumour

Thanks for that, bought mine 2013, so fine.

1/ Some queen excluders have been known to be faulty. 2/ Some queens can be undersize and can squeeze through holes in queen excluders. 3/ And sometimes when you take the hive apart the queen can be on the underside of the queen excluder which results in her ending up in the wrong part of the hive when you re-assemble it.

Compensation

I expect Ths say "tough" if you contact them inspite of my loss of one months approx brood. I have found them unapproachable in the past.
But thanks for your confirmation of the report that there was a bad batch.
Will use other suppliers in future.

Itchy you may not be safe!

The excluder was bought last year so a small Queen and you may be in trouble as I am

Just found that queen was in the super so on examination found the most beautiful brood and then to find the queen. Yes I found her dead jammed in the Q excluder and with 3 Q cells with larvae.
This is a mustard yellow plastic and bought last year. From a Ths agent .
Rumour has it that there was a bad batch. Is that true?
Queen obviously got up when slim and when fatter could not get down to the brood box.
Any confirmation of the rumour

The beige ones are OK, not great, but the orange ones (really orange) from a few years ago were faulty.

Yes, they had a bad bunch.
Bad luck!!!

is that true, where did you get this info from?

I had a friend who once worked for Durex ---- how he used to enjoy his little jokes about stray tin-tacks being trapped in the production line.....

Even with the correct sized slots, a queen can get through by virtue (or rather not) of her size. Not many will be unlucky and get trapped, however. The answer is to never even countenance small scrubby queens. It is surprising it doesn't happen more often, what with so many advocating raising of queens by emergency cells in weak colonies. All three compound to make poor queens, in one way or another, a regular possibility.

is that true, where did you get this info from?

You should read the forum. Been posted about innumerable times.

Do note the tense, mind, but since Nov 2009 for sure.

As expected!

As expected "Tough"
Nothing to do with me Sir I was absent that day!

Are they recalling the faulty ones?
Issued a statement?

They did - with the offer of a free replacement - it was well advertised

I expect Ths say "tough" if you contact them inspite of my loss of one months approx brood. I have found them unapproachable in the past.
you must be unique then - they always bend over backwards to resolve problems - so maybe it's not they who are unapproachable?

=richardbees;408547is that true, where did you get this info from?
Probably from the alleged suppliers - like the rest of us

Back