Fastest Swarm to Bait Hive (Photos)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I always have bees buzzing around trying to get inside my garage. As that is where i store my supers, wax etc.

I had a spare nuc in the garage so placed it outside with four frames of foundation, one drawn comb and a spot of lemon grass oil at 9.30am this morning.

Came home for lunch at 12.30pm just in time to see a swam arrive.

Had a quick look inside tonight and there covering four frames.

Nice :D looks a decent size swarm also, i last year had the same luck i baited it with old comb and pure lemongrass oil and when i went back 2 days later after it was reported activity i had a huge prime swarm in there.

Didn't set any this year as im still learning and equipment is limited :D.

Hope it all goes well and they clean & friendly.

Where do you get lemon grass oil from again? Always good to keep it handy then?!

I purchased mine off amazon :D

Nice catch - My own catch is much smaller, just a cast

Have ordered myself some lemongrass oil, although on the info box on the website it said pesticidal and insecticidal! How weird that it attracts bees.

Makes me wonder if it repeals varroa/wax moth and other unwanted beasties.

How much and where do the drops go in a bait nuc?

Have ordered myself some lemongrass oil, although on the info box on the website it said pesticidal and insecticidal! How weird that it attracts bees.

Makes me wonder if it repeals varroa/wax moth and other unwanted beasties.

How much and where do the drops go in a bait nuc?

i wiped it across side walls and landing board. Mind you i didn't attract a swarm :D

@foxylad

where did you get the black plastic stand from mate? I have one that i was given by a friend but he and I dont know what they are originally used for or where i can get some more from

they are great for placing nuc's on

@foxylad

where did you get the black plastic stand from mate? I have one that i was given by a friend but he and I dont know what they are originally used for or where i can get some more from

they are great for placing nuc's on

Hello beesleybees, the stand came from a commercial beekeeper, East Yorkshire. They were on ebay last year.

It fits a national hive perfectly.

There a little low, i only use them for supers, brood boxes for storage.

Latest posts

Back