Faked honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't comment of the amount of fake honey but the dissemination of videos like this can only make my own unadulterated honey much more valuable. The temptation to cheat as companies become larger becomes ever more attractive to the bean-counters and it's always the poor consumer who pays the price of globalisation. Look at the recent news regarding the addition to beef (and other animal) products of meat from other, cheaper sources and the scandal of out-of-date US chicken that is washed in chlorine (chicken that the UK want to import from an article I read). In the past you have had instances of antifreeze being added to wine. The only sure way to enjoy unadulterated product is to produce it yourself -- go bees!

But that Australian story in video is a quite a story. But I am not going to spoil my life with it.

If to reviele the fake needs a special laboratory, that is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Can't comment of the amount of fake honey but the dissemination of videos like this can only make my own unadulterated honey much more valuable. The temptation to cheat as companies become larger becomes ever more attractive to the bean-counters and it's always the poor consumer who pays the price of globalisation. Look at the recent news regarding the addition to beef (and other animal) products of meat from other, cheaper sources and the scandal of out-of-date US chicken that is washed in chlorine (chicken that the UK want to import from an article I read). In the past you have had instances of antifreeze being added to wine. The only sure way to enjoy unadulterated product is to produce it yourself -- go bees!

:iagree:

Thanks for supplying evidence justsmith. I tell my customers the difference between supermarket and beekeeper honey all the time and some are already aware of what is going on. Also, we had the Manuka testing in the UK a couple of years ago.

Thanks for supplying evidence justsmith. I tell my customers the difference between supermarket and beekeeper honey.

I bet that you shoot into your own leg. IT happens all kind of things in the World and does it makes your honey better.

All professionals sell their honey via supermarkets.

Last edited:
I bet that you shoot into your own leg. IT happens all kind of things in the World and does it makes your honey better.

Not all professionals care about what they are selling.

From a test a few years ago for the whole of the eu ( https://ec.europa.eu/food/sites/foo..._control-progs_honey_jrc-tech-report_2016.pdf ) 9.8% of the honey producers make in the eu is Suspicion of non-compliance (sample size is a bit small for my liking only 51 samples)

the retailer (supermarkets) was 16.3% out of 563 samples.

As the uk basicly sent no samples off to testing (only 22 samples sent too low of a number) my question is still has they been any testing done on uk supermarket honey?

Most professionals in this country that sell to supermarkets, if you read the labels, import non-EU honey and/or they are selling pasteurised honey as raw honey. Sold out.

Most professionals in this country that sell to supermarkets, if you read the labels, import non-EU honey and/or they are selling ......

Same here. They cannot keep they company and stuff in "do nothing mode" part of year.

Often there is not enough to sell native honey.

Latest posts

Back