Facebook Page

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to put it, but here goes.

GBKA (Gwent BKA) has now got its own facebook page. If anyone is interested here is the link.

GBKA

It only started today so its only got a couple of members so far.

Having read extensively about the problems arising from registering with Facebook, I wouldn't go anywhere near it. There is nothing there that can't be done by other means anyway eg emails and/or Skype where you can protect your address book.

There is nothing there that can't be done by other means anyway

Don't believe that - not easier, anyhow. How about the best way to organise a riot?

That said I have never even considered joining that scrum.

yes - best steer clear of social networks and BBM Rab - we don't need them getting any professional input when it comes to torching cars!!!!

It's a fad and one that is now past it's best.

Remember 2nd Life? All the rage the thing of the future, all the multi nats racing to have a presence.

And now....it's never mentioned.

PH

Facebook is good............well I think so. I use it to organise my social life (mostly dancing) and catching up with friends but not having to indulge in long conversations. Sure there are scams.....aren't there is all walks of life? I don't play any of the games nor click on any link which looks dodgy. Can't really see me organising a riot through it, nor indeed joining in one because of it either. People who do will taint whatever they touch.

Frisbee

Ever keen to be up to speed on all things internet, I once (in a foolish moment) decided to try it out - within minutes some girl to whom I had never even been introduced "poked" me - I was tempted to poke her in the eye for her cheek, but instead left, cancelled my membership and decided I preferred real friends........ Since then I've become deeply suspicious about ANY internet organisation that wants all my details (that they'll sell at some point), so avoid the lot....... (Yahoo appears to be the worst, and I believe has a dodgy past on that front)

Hi WelshPaul
I have looked at your page and 'liked' it.
Any means of 'informative bee info' or raising the profile of beekeeping is a winner for me. I have had some interesting and informative chats on facebook with fellow beekeepers. :)

Thank you to those that have liked the page, it's to raise awareness of our local BKA. unfortunately there are some very closed minded people out there, that don't understand that Facebook is an amazing resource, with over 750 million users, and worth only £50 million, and certainly not a fad that is passed it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666955,-3.017393

"there are some very closed minded people out there, that don't understand that Facebook is an amazing resource" - herrumph! - I fully understand that there are some people who are happy to allow internet institutions to have gobbets of their personal data at potential risk to their future security and spam-free status, and in return for the "artificial bonhomie" will cheerfully take such risks, BUT there are a great number of people who dislike it intensely, and bitterly resent the "you'll have to join Facebook" nonsense involved with use of such a resource, which will mean many people will choose to have no truck with it...
(My next door neighbour is a headmistress - her comments on it are unprintable)

If you want a real "everybody's welcome" site, there are such organisations as "Weebly" that will allow you to build a free website, and umpteen "free forum" providers - if you spent £15 a year you can have a pukka website, for a few pounds extra, it can even have it's own unique "url"

I wanted to do something similar for the Natural Beekeepers in Sussex, so I put up a simple forum to which everyone in the area is welcome...

Facebook is an amazing resource, with over 750 million users,

That's perfectly OK. I will gladly close my mind to it and happily remain with the other 8 250 million (yes, 8.25 Billion) who do not use it.

It will have been a fad when something comes along to replace it. They always are (or is it 'were').

If the page(s) was/were available, without the intrusive details handed over etc etc, like Brosville syas, I might have referenced it. Your choice, their choice - and my choice, too(from a very carefully open mind who thihks (and realises) that those 750 million users are being taken for a ride a lot of the time.

Closed minded and non understanding... uh huh...

Been on line since 1999.

Seen it come and go. Facebook I canna wait to see go... it wants far too much personal info and links automatically to far too many peeps.

I suggest you make a decent web site and build links to it to raise your profile.

Meanwhile I also suggest you get a bit lighter with the comments about people whom you do not know.

As for 750 million peeps... LOL, if you delve a bit you will find 2nd life was getting up to that, then there was erer... lets think... MSN chat? Remember that? Died in pedo shame, then there was Paltalk, that came and went, and on and on it goes.

PH

I'm not a lover of FAB either Brosville but Paul is trying to raise awarenes of our BKA via this medium. We do have an "official" page too which might have slipped by Paul however the last update was 29/07.
The official website is dire too but one of the new crew is trying to get to grips with it.

A few of us from this yrs intake are attempting to bring them into the 21c and get more members involved in the running of the assoc and poss move towards your way of thinking regards our bigger brother ;)

e have to take a softly, softly catchy monkey approach, once we're in they can look out just hope the old guard doesn't grind us down.

Not speaking for Paul but I don't think his comment was directed at anyone here but at the attitude of some at our assoc.
Russ

Last edited:
I actually commend his wish to put up an internet presence, but have made the entirely reasonable suggestion that he'd probably be best not to exclude quite a lot of people by only using Facebook, and I've given some ways as to how he could avoid that - (Weebly is actually quite good, as are the free forums.....)

Considering the Horlicks "professionals" can make of a website (who yelled BBKA?), he can probably do better himself......... :rofl:

thanks, all positive advice taken on board.

No huge Facebook fan myself, but it is proven to be a very effective marketing source, especially towards the younger generation. It has a wider penetration than Myspace and other predecessors ever had and as such will have a longer shelf life. Actually found it quite useful myself this weekend catching up on what had happened to relatives on the east coast of the US - personal websites could not have have done that.

Rumours of its demise are somewhat premature as I believe it continues to grow.

Frisbee, when you like it, it's the same as being a member, you can write on the wall, post pictures and get all the info as it's posted. Hope this helps.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.538698,-3.129328

Paul let me know when it grows and you have a few followers.

THEN I CAN COME AND SPAM IT !!!!

Latest posts

Back