Eylets are not needed in frame wiring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
If wire sinks into wood, the reason is that wire is too thin or the wood too soft.

Pine is enough hard to stop sinking. Spruce is too soft.

Use stonger steal wire in frames. Wiring can be used again when you boil used frames.

Once upon a time.....
way back in the second half of the last century... I made some supers up using "wiggly" stainless steel wire and stainless steel staples to fix, much in the way that eyelets are used.
Lasted quite some time.

Yeghes da

Eyelets are without doubt a devil of a job to fit much simpler are staples.

Attachments

• 2015-11-27 12.35.10.jpg
    2015-11-27 12.35.10.jpg
    209.7 KB
Eyelets are without doubt a devil of a job to fit much simpler are staples.

I found a way .. I bought a set of cheap screwdrivers in the local pound shop and one of them had a small torx type end on it. As it happened this was the perfect fit for the internal diameter of the eyelets and it had a shaft that was just too big to go through the eyelet.

So .. I just pick the eyelets up on the end of this screwdriver thingy and push them straight into the holes. Dead easy .. no fumbling about with fingers and the handle on the screwdriver thingy gives you something to push with.

I drill the holes in the frames a little on the tight side and the soft wood that our seconds frames are made out of gives enough to give the eyelets a really tight fit.

Found a nail did a very similar thing but I can still staple many frames in a fraction of the time.

Found a nail did a very similar thing but I can still staple many frames in a fraction of the time.

Yes .. that will be the case .. I just like the symmetry of eyelets and it's very therapeutic to sit with a glass of something in the winter and put them all together. Perhaps if I had 60 hives and not 6 I'd be following you down the staple route ...

How many wires per frame and do you just twist the wire onto the eyelets and then screw further in to tension them

Have quite a lot of frames in use, only a handful have needed a panel pin to stop the wire embedding itself and moving up to the next hole. Usually on recycled frames, softened after washing. All done when using the wiring jig.

Not attempting to drag yet another post off topic... but is there still a stockist of the corrugated... wiggly stainless wire?
Seem to recall we got it from an apiarists supplier in Norwood? Blackheath?... '82 ish??
The corrugations made it easy to staple.

Yeghes da

Don't know of one but you can get a tool to run down the wire so as to crimp the wire. Personally I prefer to pull the wire tight to A sharp.

Same here ... I have the tool but don't use it much .. I just pull the wires to Bee Flat ....

How many wires per frame and do you just twist the wire onto the eyelets and then screw further in to tension them

Normally Langstroth size frame has 3 or 4 wires. Then we in Finland started to use 2 wires. But last year I heard that almost no one buy any more 2 wire frames. With 2 wire the comb bends when I put it to stand against the hive wall when I nurse the hive. In extraction it bends too.

In medium frame 2 wires is good.

I have three horizontal wires on my 14 x 12 frames ... just put a frame nail on the edge (not the face) of the frame at the top, wrap a couple of turns of wire round it and then hammer it down to trap the wire. Then thread the wire through all the holes tensioning each one as you go. The advantage of eyelets is that when you get to the last hole you can put a pair of pliers onto grip the wire and lever against the frame and it really pulls all the wire tight then, whilst you still have the wire gripped in the pliers and under tension, you wrap the wire a couple of turns round another frame nail in the side of the frame at the bottom and hammer that one home.

Have your tuning fork to hand just to check that you have got Bee Flat ... Beeeeeeee... there you are - that's what it should sound like.

Eyelets are easy to fit. Our guys made some jigs that fit all the eyelets in an end bar in one. Only works on accurately made predrilled end bars though with the holes identically spaced. thus we have a few jigs....for frames from different makers.

All the ones we have made to our spec are four wires in deeps, but its one continuous wire, high tensile hard drawn stainless steel to minimise stretching. Sourced from a company in Potters Bar.

We have in service a lot of NZ deep frames, originally brought into the UK with full frames of comb honey, and most of them are three wires and were fitted with staples. they are actually a bit inadequate for extracting heather honey at three wires, four is much better and the bottom wire should not be more than an inch or so from the bottom bars. Not really fond of the stapled ones so we eyelet them as they come through the system. The wires run over the staples less easily for tensioning, and sometimes they even cut the staple.

We wire using a Canadian pattern wiring board which features a cam which pushes the end bars in. Fit the wires as tight as possible by hand, release the cam, and the frame goes back to its original shape (as closely as it can) and the wires are then very tight.

We also find that ALL frames are cut by the wires if they have the proper tension we need to keep the comb very firm and flat. Spruce, fir, or pine. Most of our frames are pine.

Its all worth doing. Once you invest the time (about 3 mins per frame) in eyeleting and wiring, you can then rewax a whole box in about 6 minutes. We get our wax specially milled slightly short in size so it does not need to go into the side bars and stops a couple of cells short of the bottom bars. Makes the best sag free combs that way. Applies to all our combs equally well, both Lang and BS, deep and shallow.

We wire using a Canadian pattern wiring board which features a cam which pushes the end bars in. Fit the wires as tight as possible by hand, release the cam, and the frame goes back to its original shape (as closely as it can) and the wires are then very tight.

That's interesting Murray ... I can feel a project coming on ...

Also, I buy my stainless wire on ebay from China - it's very cheap - but I do notice that it does stretch a bit when you tension it. Price you pay for being a cheapskate ! However, once it's tensioned it seems to hold itself tight and I've never had a wire break either making them up or whilst the frames are in use.

It's always interesting to hear how a real beekeeper does things .. thanks.

That's interesting Murray ... I can feel a project coming on ...

Also, I buy my stainless wire on ebay from China - it's very cheap - but I do notice that it does stretch a bit when you tension it. Price you pay for being a cheapskate ! However, once it's tensioned it seems to hold itself tight and I've never had a wire break either making them up or whilst the frames are in use.

It's always interesting to hear how a real beekeeper does things .. thanks.

I'm disappointed I can't find a wiring jig for drilling the sides meaning I'll have to make one up .... I didn't want all my fingers anyway

I'm disappointed I can't find a wiring jig for drilling the sides meaning I'll have to make one up .... I didn't want all my fingers anyway

I have a jig. There's three marker pen lines on a bit of MDF that sits on the platen of the bench drill .. Put frame side on, line it up with left line, drill hole, move it to line up with right line, drill hole. Line up shaped bit of frame with third line - drill hole. I usually drill them in pairs so that any slight variation in my lining up still means that I get the wires horizontal (panders a bit to my OCD).

I might take a picture of one my son built. Drills all four holes at once. Would be quite easy to copy. It was made to be able to drill our old BS frames already made up, but can equally well do sidebars alone. You can detach to outer two drills when doing shallows.

Will not be at base till Monday to do it, and its currently only doing the two hole job on Smith shallows, but you will get the idea.

Latest posts

Back