Extractor Size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my 6 swing basket from Thomas in France via Steele and Brodie now deceased.

So yes there are foreign purchases made.

PH
I remember one hell of a ruction at Stoneleigh ,involving Thomas and Th****s, over Thomas's display stand external of the retail halls selling extractors when Th****s held the British franchise !:sport-smiley-002:
:D
VM

We have a four frame manual extractor that will also take brood frames. We bought it second hand, it'll do for now.

Using it, including uncapping, is quicker than making the same volume of jam!

I have 3 supers on most of my hives and am going to have to whip some off for extraction and get them back on asap as the bees are working the balsam until the twilight ,god knows where they are managing to store it :).
VM

You're just boasting now. :)

Look around the internet, speak to others, go to trade shows, borrow hire etc if you can and then decide what you want to get. A reputable retailer/manufacturer is better than a remote on-line auction.
Extractors need to be of food grade plastic or stainless steel. Nothing else is allowed unless for your own consumption. Most of the second-hand ones on auction sites need to have a plant growing in them in the garden rather than be used for food production IMO.
Mine does 8 super frames or an adaptor allows for 2 brood frames to be spun out which can be useful sometimes.

Or you could always try the you tube approach , these 2 particulary impressed .
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6aNbPQlFqI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZcbQ3JmimI[/ame]

I wonder if they they use the dustbins for anything else .
:D:D:D:D

Having had a conversation yesterday with MJBee about extractors - why the heck are they so expensive for the beginner?
All we'd need is a 2-frame extractor (for us small beeks) using a food-grade plastic bin, with lid and tap. Would be manual, with perhaps a system for adding a 'drill' to act as the turning motor!
Anyone doing this?

All we'd need is a 2-frame extractor (for us small beeks) using a food-grade plastic bin, with lid and tap. Would be manual, with perhaps a system for adding a 'drill' to act as the turning motor!
Anyone doing this?
Without wanting to advertise, among the big suppliers the one beginning with T has their budget extractor in the sales at 105 pounds. No idea how long it would last or how long it would take to use it but that's probably your base price for a machine that (should) meet current food processing guidelines.

It's not a bad piece of kit, but only suitable for small amounts.

Need to be careful using a drill on these tangential types of extractor (plastic bin) - as I had a couple of heavy frames, and even by hand-turning managed to spin it fast enough to start to collapse the comb. You would need a slow spin up speed, and only increase when most of the honey is out.

You're just boasting now. :)

DSCF0012-1.jpg

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

And again
:leaving:
VM

Back