Extractor for the New Season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UEAHoneyBeeMan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi Everyone,

Up to now I've been borrowing our beekeeping Society equipment to extract my honey but think now is the time to look at getting my own.

I've been using an electric, radial, 9 frame extractor with a reversible motor which has been great but wondered what everyone else uses.

Next season I will have around 30 honey production colonies and looking forward I plan on increasing this number so wondering if 9 frame is sufficient or whether to go larger (I'm an optimist expecting good weather!). Do you guys and girls have a preference in terms of larger number and why?

As always, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Stewart

30 honey production colonies

Time to go bigger than a 9 frame extractor ... especially if you foresee any further increase, I would think.

I am in a similar situation and am looking at a 12 frames that takes BS deep radially directly also, tangentially it can take any frame type with screens. I have limited to 12 as it is easy to store with modest diameter increase over the 9 framers.

I bought my extractor in February from Abelo, 20 frames radial. Top quality and best price!

I'm going to make friends with UEAHoneyBeeMan and use his when he gets one..:serenade:

Where did you find a 12 frame Giordan, im aware only of 8's and 16's ?

On giordan's site directly, think the uk may import them if you ask though (you need cages if you want todo brood LS frames though)

I have extracted tonnes of honey in a nine frame radial extractor (with a tangential cage for extracting deep frames or heather honey), and while it was a bit fiddly it did the job admirably. Not much time was wasted if the extractor was balanced well so it was left running while the next lot of frames were uncapped.

I'm going to make friends with UEAHoneyBeeMan and use his when he gets one..:serenade:

You're more than welcome to come along to the Society and borrow that one next season. We actually run extraction days were members bring their supers along and everyone helps each other extract.

I'm hoping the new one I get will be so big they'll need a crane to lower it into position :icon_204-2:

anyone bought or know anything about the Abelio extractors?

anyone bought or know anything about the Abelio extractors?

The author of post number four has one Nic, i would also like to hear more of anyones experiance of Abelo extractors.

saw that but didn't tell me much! I have tried with Giordan but gave up after repeated request were ignored :( Currently favour Th**nes as they answer emails (and my existing extractor has done 30 years). I am tempted by the Abelio 20 framer but would like to know more about 'potential screen' for larger frames tangentially. I buy quite bit from them but atm don't know who supplies their extrctors and if they are okay

I buy quite bit from them but atm don't know who supplies their extrctors and if they are okay

From what i can see they are made by Lyson, but would still like to know more from someone who has one, also the 20 frame Lega, athough a bit more expensive.

saw that but didn't tell me much! I have tried with Giordan but gave up after repeated request were ignored :( Currently favour Th**nes as they answer emails (and my existing extractor has done 30 years). I am tempted by the Abelio 20 framer but would like to know more about 'potential screen' for larger frames tangentially. I buy quite bit from them but atm don't know who supplies their extrctors and if they are okay

Made by Lyson
http://www.en.lyson.com.pl/index.php5?op=news&id=42

been thinking about this further today. Are there any ruile of thumbs re extractor size and number of hives? i.e 9 hives, 9 framer, 30 hives 30 framer? I have a decent budget for an extractor having sold a bottle of whisky :grin: I have always borrowed my fathers 9 frame manual.....after 35+ years have decided I might stick with the hobby and now is the time to invest in an extractor :)

As long as it is a powered one you will get away with a 9 frame but if you have the room a bigger extractor will extract more frames per loading.

From a few colonies to few hundred, the 20 frame radial is excellent.

Latest posts

Back