Extractor advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadders

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A bit early in the season for this I know.

Last season my extractor died. It was one of those cheap plastic ones from Th***es. It lasted 2 seasons. I have 2 hives.

I am a small timer so happy with a 2 or 3 frame extractor (nationals) and happier with manual as it will keep the cost down.

I want something on a budget that will last at least a good handful of seasons.

Any suggestions rather taking a punt on something from ebay?

I bought a three frame manual from thornes 30 years ago and it is still going strong! What on earth did you do to it?

Have a look at Simon the Beekeeper. I’ve been happy with one of his four frame extractors over the last three seasons.

I bought a three frame manual from thornes 30 years ago and it is still going strong! What on earth did you do to it?

It was one of their plastic extractors. One of the plastic cross beams snapped. Gaffer tape got it through the rest of the job - just. Binned it after.

. One of the plastic cross beams snapped.

What did you use, too much Monkey magic!? :)

Might have to be something made of steel next time. I started, like you, with a thornes plastic job but moved on to a Carl Fritz when I increased

I am mean - as in Scottish mean.

I bought from ebay a 4 frame manual ss extractor with collection tank two years old in as new (used twice) condition. New price then £350 ex Maisies.. Price paid £175 (plus two ss filters included.)

Advertised as "Collection Only" so that minimised potential buyers. I travelled 45 miles to collect it (and same to return)..

Probably go with one of those four frame metal jobbies from eBay. With delivery comes in about £110.

A bit early in the season for this I know.

Last season my extractor died. It was one of those cheap plastic ones from Th***es. It lasted 2 seasons. I have 2 hives.

I am a small timer so happy with a 2 or 3 frame extractor (nationals) and happier with manual as it will keep the cost down.

I want something on a budget that will last at least a good handful of seasons.

Any suggestions rather taking a punt on something from ebay?

Extractors are often available cheaply at the various bee auctions. Try a drive up to Newark for the auction next Saturday.

Extractors are often available cheaply at the various bee auctions. Try a drive up to Newark for the auction next Saturday.

Or don't. It would seem to be a long drive for a potential disappointment. I would suggest saving the petrol money, and putting it towards a more considered purchase. I went to the Newark auction last year, and, whilst I had a good day out, and there were a few bargains to be had, I don't seem to recall there being a single extractor for sale (in fact, there were only 3 colonies for sale, in an amongst the equipment, some of which was ropey, and some of which was kit (boxes, complete hives, frame stands etc... made by members for resale)) - but I guess you could get lucky. For "often" maybe read "sometimes".

My own advice on extractors would be to spend as much as you can afford. As with most things in life, it pays off in the long run. I would think you need to be looking at stainless steel, in any case; and tangential (as these are at the 'entry-level' end of the price ranges) - but if you can locate a good second-hand radial, that would be preferable, I would think.

Myself, I picked up a SS 4-frame tangential (a Unimel, I think) from a Thornes sale day in Rand - for about £100. Sort-of a bargain. It is fine - but, 3 seasons in, some of the welds on the basket are failing. I don't know where these are manufactured, but all the signs point to the Far East. In hindsight, I should maybe have sucked-it up, accepted it as a >10year investment, and bought myself a nice European manufactured extractor. I was (and still am) coveting a Giordan extractor... and they also do a nice range of add-ons and spare parts.

Food for thought, hopefully. Cheers

Back