extractior and buckets questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi thanks for reading my post.

So i have just recieved my little 2 frame extractor which came with 3 x 15lb buckets and a 30lb bucket with honey valve as well as a double strainer.

I,m a bit confuzzled as to why only the bigger bucket has a valve.
Do i extract the honey into the smaller buckets to allow it to settle then pour into the bigget bucket via the strainer and then after settling again drain into jars.
or are the smaller buckets for storage semi long term which are then poured into the bigger one for putting into jars.

thanks
Phill

the bucket with the tap on is used to bottle the honey the other buckets to store the honey in.

Strain from the extractor into the bucket with the tap. Leave for 24 hours and then jar up. If you have no jars then the other buckets can be used for storage. It is always handy to have a store bucket around for when you run out of jars, two seems a bit excessive but....

I store all my honey in buckets until I need to jar it.

Also the "best before" date is derived from the date of putting in jar and not the date the honey is extracted.

I'm slowly putting taps in all my honey tubs for ease of use. I use the 15kg rectangle ones that Thornes sell. I don't buy them there as they are also used to supply us butchers with skins in. Can't have enough storage imho.

Baggy

i use 10ltr mayo tubs for mine, you can put them in the dishwasher and my local sandwich shop gives them to me.

not only that they sell well at my local bee auction. quids in.

Back