Extracting National Deep Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all. The basic question is whether anyone here extracts brood frames in any kind of domestic extractor - and, if so, whether tangentially, or, if radially, with what sort of sized extractor...... and also, with what levels of success/issues, thanks.

I ask only as I have made a bit of a mess when trying. I have a Logar 9 frame radial, but no cage to convert to tangential (and I'm not sure those exist for my design).

I managed to fit 6 frames radially, but I guess the issue is (given the bottom bars of the frames are pretty much jammed up against the spindle) that, in addition to the general weakness arising from a larger comb, the centrifugal force declines rapidly as you get to the spindle, meaning that honey has been flung from the top of the frame, but not the bottom, making the comb excessively bottom-heavy.

Even having spun gently for a good while at a really low speed, increasing the speed only slightly started causing frames to blow.

Feel like a bit of a thicko really; but any advice welcome 👍

Last edited:
extracts brood frames in any kind of domestic extractor
Yes, routinely, in a 9-frame radial Lega electric fitted with tangential screens.

Takes longer to swap combs round, of course, but they can be pretty dry in the end.

Don't try radial extraction; as you have discovered, the nearer the spindle the less is extracted, and it becomes a curse.

Have you contacted Logar?
honey-extractors.co.uk have screens for Logar, but check the small print.

https://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/tangential-screen-for-radial-cage-stainless-steel

Also https://www.thorne.co.uk/processing/extraction/extractors/logar-extractors/screens-logar.html

https://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/tangential-screens

If not, the Lega arms look as if they will accommodate a range of widths; the distance is 324mm between the outsides of the two vertical struts below. Maybe a Lega will fit a Logar?

IMG_20240812_183246511.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, routinely, in a 9-frame radial Lega electric fitted with tangential screens.

Takes longer to swap combs round, of course, but they can be pretty dry in the end.

Don't try radial extraction; as you have discovered, the nearer the spindle the less is extracted, and it becomes a curse.

Have you contacted Logar?
Hi Eric - I really am being super-dense. The more I think about it, the only good way of extracting larger frames is going to be tangentially. My assumption on the availability of screens was also flawed (based on the fact they're not available from the seller of my unit, and on the 'wavy' design of the basket (https://www.logar-trade.com/basket-9-frames-radial-d52-stainless-steel_7740.html).

However, screens are available; indeed as Thorne have recently started stocking Logar, they can be procured there (albeit currently out-of-stock). The hunt for a supplier is on (so I don't have to wait 16 days and have the bleeding things stuck in customs).

Appreciate your comments. Thanks

If so, whether tangentially, or, if radially, with what sort of sized extractor...... and also, with what levels of success/issues, thanks.

Ideally, for large frames you want a large machine, I use a 40 Frame Electric Radial Extractor - no issues and extract 100's (using pre wired frames, 4 wires).

I run everything on National brood (you should see my biceps!) and use a Lyson Layens 4 frame tangential (std) that came from Abelo some years ago. Great machine but oh so slow compared to radial. I also always use wired frames.

If not, the Lega arms look as if they will accommodate a range of widths; the distance is 324mm between the outsides of the two vertical struts below. Maybe a Lega will fit a Logar?

Top man. Thanks again Eric. It looks like the Lega is completely identical (and there's me thinking my design is unique 🤣).

PXL_20240812_180545765.jpg

I'm on it.

don't know what the issue is.
centrifugal force declines rapidly as you get to the spindle, meaning that honey has been flung from the top of the frame, but not the bottom, making the comb excessively bottom-heavy.
A 9-frame has too small a radius to avoid this; what size drum does your extractor have, JBM?

Yes, but before that a large honey room and a large wad. 🙂
Indeed, all part of the planning regarding the move to large frames if you want to take full advantage (or the hassle it causes).

TBH you could prob buy a used large extractor cheap and stick it in the garage or shed for little ££.

Houses are generally too big, and sheds too small. :)
hen I moved from Scotland to England I had overlooked the property rules. Broadly in Scotland you sell the land with everything on it - house, sheds, greenhouse naming the pots of plants etc which you are going to take. On arrival at the new shed with house attached I was pretty surprised to find the house was there but the shed had disappeared. On enquiry I was told that it was not included in the sale and had been taken although there had been no mention of that in the sale agreement. This was followed by "We would have taken the greenhouse too but decided it would have been too much hassle!".
However I do have a three car garage and a large lean to. I should add that there is only one car in the garage and it is not mine (guess who's). That in itself was good leverage for a new shed purchase for extractor, crown boards, queen excluders etc storage, and a great place for frame making, foundation making and generally escaping to a place of solace which is used infrequently every day.

I was asked by a new beek at the weekend “Will I need a shed?” To which I answered “ no, you’ll need 3 sheds!”
In the process of looking. Main shed has a clear sheeting ( don't know what it's called) any frames left in there melt. The garage is not big enough as my husband is a potter, housing a wheel and a kiln. We have a small freezer for the frames then supers and deeps all over the place. Quandary do we build our buy? Main issue keeping the building/ shed cool

Back