Extracted Honey - not what? - filter? - any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
Okay, I've extracted my honey from supers, in honey buckets and extractor currently. (with honey taps).

I have a stainless steel filter set, 1.5 and 0.5, annoyingly, I believe the coarse (1.5) sits inside the finer (0.5) filter set, so I assume, I just let the honey run through both slowly.

when it's filtered, I've also ready leave to settle for 24-48 hours, and use paper to trap wax, pollen that rises to surface, and then jar up.

(clean and sterilize jars in disk washer with lids)

Sounds good. It goes through the filter much easier if it is warm!.
Just remember to keep an eye on bucket levels or you will join the rest of us in the " oh bugger fetch a cloth quickly " club.

Also make sure the taps are done up!another easy mistake!. There is unlikely to be wax floating, just bubbles, they end up in the last two jars and are used for your own consumption, easier that faffing around with paper!
E

I also ran mine through a mauslin cloth. quite time consuming but i was not in any rush for it.

Also make sure the taps are done up!another easy mistake!. There is unlikely to be wax floating, just bubbles, they end up in the last two jars and are used for your own consumption, easier that faffing around with paper!
E

Yes I agree no need for the paper.

I also ran mine through a mauslin cloth. quite time consuming but i was not in any rush for it.

Can you explain how you do this as I brought some but gave up after 5 minutes of trying as it was taking an age and didnt secure it properly at all dropping into the bucket.

I bought a very big sieve, nearly the diameter of the bucket and used a knot over the handel and clothes pegs to attact a mauslin to the bottom of it, so the mauslin hangs about an inch or two below the sieve.

This is very slow. I sat watching a film and added four or five big ladels full of honey every five or ten minutes. filtered about 25lb of honey during the film.

Fine Filter Mesh

I find that a very fine synthetic mesh is good for a second quick filtration.

My mesh was originally part of the packing around a Tesco's bunch of Dutch flowers.

I bought a very big sieve, nearly the diameter of the bucket and used a knot over the handel and clothes pegs to attact a mauslin to the bottom of it, so the mauslin hangs about an inch or two below the sieve.

This is very slow. I sat watching a film and added four or five big ladels full of honey every five or ten minutes. filtered about 25lb of honey during the film.
I just put the sieve on the bucket the cloth in the sieve witch supports the cloth no need for pegs

The muslin is really fine and takes most of the pollen grains out meaning that the honey stays runny longer but I never use it. I tried it once and it was such a pain! So two sieves does me, anyway I promote the pollen in my honey explaining to buyers that it will cloud and set, but is better for you than finely sieved honey! In my opinion anyway.
Another word of warning with two sieves, sometimes the honey can run through the top sieve much faster than the bottom sieve so give it time to empty, if you keep topping up the top sieve the bottom one may fill to overflowing and then comes out between the sieves and into the bucket!
E

I use the 2 metal sieve method, goes through quite quickly and honey looks clear. Cost £32 but have forever.
I would worry the muslin would produce minuscule fragments of fluff in the honey.
I still promote the pollen content to customers. All goes at £5 per jar.

I use the 2 metal sieve method, goes through quite quickly and honey looks clear. Cost £32 but have forever.
I would worry the muslin would produce minuscule fragments of fluff in the honey.
I still promote the pollen content to customers. All goes at £5 per jar.

:iagree:

I have conical nylon cloth filters which fit my ripeners\storage bins,
I leave them in whilst bottling, I waste very little honey. probably unnecessary but I'm a creature of habit :)
VM

Always thought you might be a nun, VM.
Clearly practised in poverty, chastity and obedience.

Dusty
I'll have nun of your remarks !
I may give you a couple of bad reviews in the media trade mags ! :)
VM

Latest posts

Back