Extra insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent the best part of the morning sprinkling road-salt, from a salt-bin, on the hills out of our village. Only about 40mm of snow but it was cold enough for this small amount to turn the snow into ice when a car ran over it.

Gale force easterlies promised for tomorrow so, this afternoon, I stuffed crunched-up newspaper in all the underfloor entrances, leaving only a small gap for when an adventurous bee wants to relieve herself.

Fun this canadian-weather beekeeping, isn't it?

CVB

Just for peace of mind and due to this exceptional cold spell, I wrapped my four hives in bubble wrap yesterday. I have not allowed it to obstruct the entrance but each hive had three wraps of stuff yesterday. As soon as this cold weather has gone, I will take it off.
This is not insulation, tis a windbreak at best

I did have a colony in a 5mm ply nuc last year, and insulated it with foam and they got through last winter and did very well last summer.
The point of insulation - installed to method it works equally well
in 'cold' and warm climates.

With these cold temperatures being far worse I feel that colonies in normal wooden nationals could be wiped out, so am playing safe.
Not necessarily so, impeded..?.. definitely. Insulation provides a stable
environmentbfor a controlled ambient. The bees providing that ambient.

We had lovely sunshine today and there were lots of them out and about.

Anyone else taken similar steps?

So.... until next winter, hey?
I am in the process of converting all of my operation to a polyurathane crossection, minimal 40mm wall and 50mm roof, all
over a 6mm ply floor. All ventilation is also a standard - a single 60mm penetration to each box, uppermost central opposite
the full entrance. This ventilation for the tropics only, the insulation however will work as planned anywhere, globally.

Bill

Latest posts

Back