external hive feeding boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfranklyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Hello,
The reason I joined the forum is a simple one. As a retired woodwork metalwork teacher I have an inbuilt need to make my own equipment.

This winter, being short of a job, I recently made myself four feeders I designed to hang over the hive entry so I can top up required feed easily.
I thought feeding from inside the hive was too much of a bother.

Can any expert put me right as to whether they will be up to the job? I mostly fear they may start the bee robbing, or invite other visitors.

The boxes are 4.5" sq and 8" deep and a quick top up flip lid and have the usual entry method with the feed feeding under a bee proof gap. I have fixed a metal strip above the boxes with two screw holes adapted to they fit over two brass screws to the left and over the brood brood box entry.

I don't mind wasting my time making these feed boxes, but would like to know if they wil work, or not?

Can someone take the time to advise please.

Johnfranklyn

Hi John

A picture might help to visualise it. I'm not sure if it's only accessible to bees from inside the hive entrance, in which case should be OK, or from adjacent to the hive entrance, which would seem to me an invitation to robbers.

Personally I use rapid feeders- accessed from behind the hive, roof off, lid off to top up, no bees can come up, and you're not bending over by the hive entrance.

I suspect you may be solving a problem that doesn't exist.

It will be warmer on top of the hive, so there is another advantage of the way it has always been done, historically. Those old beekepers knew what was best and easiest. Little point in trying to re-invent the wheel, but, hey ho, carry on - it will keep you busy and I doubt anyone else has tried them.

There are several proprietary entrance feeders on the market, but they are not so very popular. I use some to supply water in the spring; deems to work really well when used inside the Dartingtons.

It will be warmer on top of the hive, so there is another advantage of the way it has always been done, historically. Those old beekepers knew what was best and easiest. Little point in trying to re-invent the wheel, but, hey ho, carry on - it will keep you busy and I doubt anyone else has tried them.

There are several proprietary entrance feeders on the market, but they are not so very popular. I use some to supply water in the spring; deems to work really well when used inside the Dartingtons.
:iagree:
Why not obtain plans for miller or ashford feeders ?
These are tried and tested , hold a couple of gallons of feed (less visits), simple to top up without disturbing any bees.
Satisfying your carpentry urges will be a bonus !!:D
VM

Hi John

A picture might help to visualise it. I'm not sure if it's only accessible to bees from inside the hive entrance, in which case should be OK, or from adjacent to the hive entrance, which would seem to me an invitation to robbers.

Personally I use rapid feeders- accessed from behind the hive, roof off, lid off to top up, no bees can come up, and you're not bending over by the hive entrance.

I suspect you may be solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks for the quick answer Skyhook,
My problem is a simple one; I only have one super size feeder and five hives, so I tend to juggle it between hives. The feed hole the bees will enter is ajacent to the hive entry, but will be covered by the feederbox side. I understand you feel it will be robbed by bees entering the hive entrance and turn right to get to the feeder entrance then? A pity, I thought at eighty I may have found a way of making things a little more effortless. I have kept bees for only about eighteen years, so in bee keeping I am still a bit of a novice. I will give the feeder a shot, but another problem pointed out to me is the bees won't like the cold sugar solution. It looks like I may end up making more super size feeders. My cedar woodyard is eighty miles away, so will have to take a run, and possibly play some golf. I do get the cedar offcuts for a couple of jars of honey though. The sawyer has a sweet tooth. Thanks again. John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back