Extended release OAV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest, how long should the Abelo extended-release OA strips be left in the hive to do their job?
Six weeks
There may be an indication to start in the spring and continue till October

Last edited:
Out of interest, how long should the Abelo extended-release OA strips be left in the hive to do their job?
Ring and ask unless any here have used and read the packet!

The Thymol and Mita-cide based treatments suggest 4 weeks, if there's still a mite count another two weeks. Just said that as a random thing.
But to answer your question, I would imagine 4 - 6 weeks is needed to clean the top bars of your frames.

Which job?

You mean bleach the timbers? Unlikely to get anyone to admit to using the strips to treat for varroa (no matter that residue is negligable, prosecution by .gov would be far too expensive and much of the rest of the world uses plain OA for varroa).

You would have the gratitude of every sensible beekeeper in the land. Start a fund and if we all gave a fiver...

I'll update when I have a bit more info but there's a chance legislation prevents me doing it until 2028 unless I can find a a way around it...

The Thymol and Mita-cide based treatments suggest 4 weeks, if there's still a mite count another two weeks. Just said that as a random thing.
But to answer your question, I would imagine 4 - 6 weeks is needed to clean the top bars of your frames.
6 weeks imo maybe more

That would be a cracking idea maybe that could be what you were looking for?
Maybe... I'd prefer not to have to let my bees get a big varroa burden for me to investigate treatments with though! I'll have to look at existing research like the studies used for api-bioxal and determine if I can do a similar study design but using the strips. Plus all the ethical approvals etc. that come with experimenting on live things... Groan! Thinking about it, HM may have collected a fair bit of data himself to be honest.

Maybe... I'd prefer not to have to let my bees get a big varroa burden for me to investigate treatments with though! I'll have to look at existing research like the studies used for api-bioxal and determine if I can do a similar study design but using the strips. Plus all the ethical approvals etc. that come with experimenting on live things... Groan! Thinking about it, HM may have collected a fair bit of data himself to be honest.
He probably did? I didn't know he had done tests?

No idea as never knew him but from what I can gather he was pretty logical and scientific in his approaches so there may be data from when he was developing the strips.
Might be worth a convo with his boys?
I don't know them myself.

Truth is, everyone has their own guesstimation, which only strengthens the VMD argument that OA legislation prevents variable use and reduces risk.
Just ring them and ask what’s on the packet if any are that interested how to bleach wood.

No regs exist to prevent a beekeeper using whatever they like as a “hive cleaner” that includes OA, the regs are there to protect beekeepers from themselves sometimes, so many beekeepers keep OA solution one year to the next, unfortunately it gains strength and damages colonies.

Latest posts

Back