Exporting to France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into going the other way, and quickly decided it ain't worth the hassle or risk of moving disease.

The only ports of entry to the UK for bees are Heathrow and Gatwick, ie they have to be flown in. I assume the same goes the other way ie they dont want bees loose on ferries or in the tunnel!

You're better off selling your English bees at inflated English prices and buying some French bees or getting a swarm or two when you get here. You might lose a year building up your numbers again but its easier that all the hoops you'll have to jump through to export bees.

Has anyone experience of exporting bees / hives to france?

Why?

The only ports of entry to the UK for bees are Heathrow and Gatwick, ie they have to be flown in. I assume the same goes the other way ie they dont want bees loose on ferries or in the tunnel!

No, they can go on Ferries :).

No, they can go on Ferries :).

As long as each one has a valid ticket!!

The heathrow Gatwick stations are for imports from 'third countries' - the only ones automatically eligible at the moment are Australia, Argentina and New Zealand all imports restricted to Queens and attendants (apart from New Zealand where a derogation applies)
As long as it's within the European community you're OK I think, you'll have to check with the country you are taking them to exactly what paperwork you need - bringingn into the UK is just a health certificate and a few other bits of bumph:

Consignments of bees from other member states of the Community (see Annex A) must be accompanied by an original health certificate modelled on Annex E Part 2 of Council Directive 92/65/EEC (as amended by Commission Decision 2007/265/EC) which has been issued by the relevant Member State authority. The health certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue and you must retain it for 12 months from the date of the consignment‟s arrival
Contact FERA - they'll tell you exactly what's needed

Has anyone experience of exporting bees / hives to france?
My friend brought a colony over from uk via tunnel in his car in 2013

He did have them inspected before and received paperwork

I can put you in contact with him if you pm me with an email address

You have to make an aplication to the authority before you can any hive in France that is the law.

I think dclewis is right, I am planning to retire to Brittany over the next few years and I think the best plan would be to sell up in the UK as he suggests and start again with Dadant equipment and cheaper bees. I would probably have to work with the local Bretton black bee as well, I wouldn't like to upset the locals by bringing over a load of Carnis/mongrels.

I agree with leaving the hives behind and changing to dadant, but as for cheaper bees!

Of course I could be completly misinformed about prices ail901

Of course I could be completly misinformed about prices ail901

Bees on 5 frames ( not over wintered) are selling for about 100€ around here

Dont know what prices are in uk but i thought they were expensive here

If you zoom in to the area of France you are interested in and type in 'beekeeping' in the search box it brings up a lot of red dots with names. I'm not sure if this is info they have put in or from the French government databases open to the public.

Mike.

When I say a lot, I mean more than the UK does.

If you zoom in to the area of France you are interested in and type in 'beekeeping' in the search box it brings up a lot of red dots with names. I'm not sure if this is info they have put in or from the French government databases open to the public.

Mike.

When I say a lot, I mean more than the UK does.

The map isnt correct and not sure how that helps the OP

Thanks all for the replies.

Why - I am intending to move to Allier in a few years time (NHS restructuring permitting :hairpull: ). I am just getting back into beekeeping and have gone down the route of langstroths - available out there.

Sounds like a planned exit from here might be easier than the trouble of moving live bees and all that entails. Just bumping out the hardware. I suspect sending a puppy to Australia will be easier.

My local supply house is www-naturapi-com/catalogue-html - a five frame nuc is 135 euro. £108. So I am guessing a trip to the marie or into the local beekeeper for some more local contacts. (changing dots for dashes)

The map isnt correct and not sure how that helps the OP

Not in moving bees but it might help if they what to buy local bees or contact other beekeepers in the area.

When you say it's not correct, what is incorrect about it?

Mike.

If you are saying google maps, ghen it is not correct, there are some bee keepers on there but knowing my area and looking at the map i can say it is incorrect. There are many more registered beekeepers than are on the map

I agree op should speak to local beekeepers when they arrive

Dulwich Gnome - it may amuse you to know back in the early seventies I had some hives in Thurlow Park Road and also in a garden behind what was the estate agents near the church

Latest posts

Back