experienced eye on pics below please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
whats happening?

lots at front of hive....a number face to face, a bit of fighting but doesnt look carnage when i had robbing

inside is a single national bb with a lot of bees (having taken supers off) and apigard

are they escaping apigurad or is it robbing etc..

Attachments

• front3.jpg
    front3.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 119
  • front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 119
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 99
Just looks like a busy hive to me, the slightest temperature change will bring more bees out than usual and more coming out tend to get in the way of those returning so it looks like bedlam for a few minutes then all will calm down as they get into a rhythm
E

:iagree:
Just looks like a busy hive to me, the slightest temperature change will bring more bees out than usual and more coming out tend to get in the way of those returning so it looks like bedlam for a few minutes then all will calm down as they get into a rhythm
E

I think it's the apiguard; in warm weather they escape the stink of the stuff inside and gather at the front. Lots of fanning as well to get some fresh air in.

They look like there orientation fliets really good to see did it calm down after 20 mins or so? .
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...IQo7QBCC8wBQ&usg=AOvVaw3rZ_Fhdt_SkwTNdTMP6o_L
This is quite interesting about orientation Vs swarming.

Every afternoon my hives look crazy for about twenty minutes as the newly promoted flying bees come out for their first flights. on occasion I have seen this and thought it was robbing before, but it quickly dies down and everything returns to normal within 20-30 minutes.

Every afternoon my hives look crazy for about twenty minutes as the newly promoted flying bees come out for their first flights. on occasion I have seen this and thought it was robbing before, but it quickly dies down and everything returns to normal within 20-30 minutes.

If you didn't know what was happening . You might think it's robbing , even swarming this is my first year with so many hives . The amount of bee's orientating yesterday was very busy .
It's good but my hives are bursting . The queens will slow down from now on?

If you didn't know what was happening . You might think it's robbing , even swarming this is my first year with so many hives . The amount of bee's orientating yesterday was very busy .
It's good but my hives are bursting . The queens will slow down from now on?

That's the theory, though one of my hives doesn't seem to be taking too much notice!

I have one collony the same they swarmed in April took a long time to build back up , and the new queen is laying like mad that's the collony I'm feeding at the moment .

Thanks B+

i havent checked no but was planning to feed with thymol in sugar solution...is that sufficient?

i dont have the means to check as it stands

I don't use it but, based on comments I've seen on this forum, it may be beneficial. You should also clean the front of the hive so other bees don't try to clean it and become affected i.e. remove the source of possible infection

Last edited:
B+ is that what nosema looks like i had looked and assumed it was propolis thathad been transferred there by sticky gloves?

Latest posts

Back