Expanding a little

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been hovering around the 10-12 hive mark (mostly double brood or double and a half) for a while but have recently changed job so have a little more time on my hands. I am thinking of investing in some equipment and heading towards the 25 hive mark. Can anyone think of anything in particular I should be looking out for.

Somewhere worthwhile to put them.

Don't be surprised about how much extra kit you need to 'service' 25 hives. Nucs, supers, broods, qe's etc etc. Storage and extraction.

I have been hovering around the 10-12 hive mark (mostly double brood or double and a half) for a while but have recently changed job so have a little more time on my hands. I am thinking of investing in some equipment and heading towards the 25 hive mark. Can anyone think of anything in particular I should be looking out for.

Double + the storage space.
Bigger extractor.
Alternative sites unless you happen to have a three or four acre field to call home.
ensure equipment & frame compatibility .

Making equipment = time, this can be a right pain at times! So make sure you have enough when the time comes as the bees don't wait.. If your buying everything and not making from scratch, then it's a lot easier.
Room, not only for the kit but for extracting and then there's the honey. Where are you going to store it all? Jars or bucket? Thinking positively that's at least 50 buckets right :)

Good question and one I have been pondering this year. I understand the issues of hardware, space and suitable apiaries with forage. Experienced beekeepers with c15-30 colonies must have some tips for maximising production? I struggle to get my head around how many production hives, versus queen raising, versus spare queens to go into AS splits, versus queen to overwinter.

Obviously bees never follow a plan, so there must be some helpful strategies to maintain the flexibility needed.

Have you considered using Nucs for all your queen rearing so as to avoid hitting on the production colonies.

I am intending doing just that, or will if the bloody weather ever warms up as here it has been one of the co9ldest wettest starts to a season I have encountered.

Anyway, by using say 20 nucs which are after setting up self-contained and also a cash flow aid, you have your queen rearing sorted out.

PH

@JohnRoss
What is the motivator?
If honey best the market beyond what is being produced now be explored.
If pollination it is those farmers you need to be discussing this with.

Bill

Thanks for the inputs. The motivator really is honey production. I have massive demand for honey. I have always supplied two shops and the demand through those shops has steadily increased over the last few years. One shop is now selling 60 jars a week for me. the last order I dropped in was nearly all pre sold to people who had ordered a few jars in advance. Demand is well in excess of supply.

I think I am in an excellent forage area. I know that I produce much more honey currently with fewer hives than other bee keepers that I have visited. I think the area can sustain more bee colonies.

My dad has a farm that is next door and I have been working with him to try and manage the hedgerows and the fields in a way that promotes bee friendly flowers.

Until now I have just kind of made it up as I go along.

Thanks for the inputs. The motivator really is honey production. I have massive demand for honey. I have always supplied two shops and the demand through those shops has steadily increased over the last few years. One shop is now selling 60 jars a week for me. the last order I dropped in was nearly all pre sold to people who had ordered a few jars in advance. Demand is well in excess of supply.

I think I am in an excellent forage area. I know that I produce much more honey currently with fewer hives than other bee keepers that I have visited. I think the area can sustain more bee colonies.

My dad has a farm that is next door and I have been working with him to try and manage the hedgerows and the fields in a way that promotes bee friendly flowers.

Interesting, how much the shop are selling your honey for?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

"The motivator really is honey production"
Then go c'mrcl, anything else and you are merely eroding someone else's
potential. IF the market is there, use it... you'll make a bundle.

As transparency do note my published bio here includes the information
we are retired c'mrcl pollinators, and so do carry some bias on
the topic.
Good Luck.

Bill

The motivator really is honey production. I have massive demand for honey. I have always supplied two shops and the demand through those shops has steadily increased over the last few years. One shop is now selling 60 jars a week for me. Demand is well in excess of supply.

Thibault asked the right question.

I knew an old boy who had bees on a pick-your-own farm near Enfield; he told us how pleased he was to sell everything he could produce. Price was a giveaway £3.50/lb, so no wonder.

You're in a strong position to make the most of what you've built, but price point is all. Shops like to have continuous supply and you'll need more than 25.

Latest posts

Back