Eton/Harrow/Winchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope not at all.
Went to an old poly uni and worked in a pretty average job. Obviously bright enough to get scholarship so could have probably done better it left him about as confident as a kicked dog!

Being a state school boy myself but having been through sandhurst with a lot from public school, I can see some benefit if you are already the "type" but if you are not the type and don't have the right out of school contacts and resources it can be hard. We did consider minor local public school for our son but the local state school out performs many public schools in the league table and gives an outstanding education.
When you dig down the GCSE out comes of some of the most prestigious are pretty average and they do things like use the IGCSE or IBacc so comparisons can not be made.

If you're not of their claque you're just a jumped up little oik and of no consequence, and with them, what's between their ears doesn't matter, just the name of the school and whether your ancestor came over with the conqueror. so I doubt the standard of education is any different.
Rather than chasing around paying half a mortgage trying to get a named school - if you really want to invest in a child's education rather than just buying them an alleged easy life, you need to send your kids to a paying school with an academic reputation rather than just a fancy name, places like Christ College in Brecon doesn't ring a bell with most but has a fantastic reputation for turning out good academics and engineers. There are many of that kind around.

My sister in laws ex went to Eton on a bursary and hated it and was undoubtedly damaged by the bullying and abuse he received from the playing customers. I think if you are not the "type" fitting in could be hard.
I’m afraid that’s what I meant right from the start.
The nobs live on a different planet.

Just be a bit wary of thinking that these schools are the guarantee of a high flying career that they once no doubt were.

With the drive towards diversity, levelling up etc, universities and employers are trying to look elsewhere than these places if they possibly can.

Of course, if a child excels at these schools no doubt they will find universities and jobs easy to get. But I suspect that absolutely the last thing you want to be in the university or jobs application market at the moment is an average-performing white student from a well-known public school.

I might be wrong though.

As others have said ,maybe a small independent that will be cheaper but get the grades needed to get into oxbridge , I just dont want them to have the life I have !

The biggest advantage I had were my parents, who were first generation graduates in the 1940's in NZ. They imparted an appreciation of knowledge and learning. They also subjected me to the widest range of experiences possible. In amongst all those, I found some things that I cared passionately about, and the need to learn about them fueled academic learning (up to a point). Since living in the UK, I have had friends and acquaintances who had attended all three schools you mention. I think the schools can generate some very good people, and some very bad people, almost like any cross section of society. Winchester seemed to have created the most inquiring minds - but ultimately it is down to the individuals. As a rather horrid generalisation, I don't know that it did anyone any good having been there, other than perhaps fitting into a certain clique.

As others have said ,maybe a small independent that will be cheaper but get the grades needed to get into oxbridge , I just dont want them to have the life I have !
Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all these days ... depends on the course they want to follow. Two of mine went to Sheffield Uni .. one for applied languages and one for control systems engineering -in these subjects it's pretty much up there with the all the top universites. My other son started at Royal Holloway but hated it and left to do his degree and masters through the Open University.

Again, I'd caution against just looking at names ... when the time comes investigate which universities offer the most suitable courses but - and it is so important - they are going to be there for three years - four if they do a masters and potentially seven if they go on to do a PhD (as one of mine did) so they need to be at a place that gives them what they require socially as well as academically. There could be nothing worse than being stuck in a place you hate on a course that you don't like.... They all do open days when prospective candidates can go and see the faciliies, get an idea of the course, talk to tutors and other students and get to find out what they are letting themselves in for. I've seen some very unhappy students pushed into university by parents who thought that was best ... and they fail and that's a huge set back.

Don't force them down an academic route unless they show real aptitude ... there are some fantastic non-university facilities these days that allow apprenticeships alongside studying for very well recognised qualifications such a BTec etc. there are jobs in industry that pay incredible money for well versed and practical people.

A third in PPE from Oxbridge will still get you into politics but the real world now looks beyond where you went to Uni...the best firms seek out talent, ability and application - wherever it has been gained.

Last edited:
Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all these days ... depends on the course they want to follow. Two of mine went to Sheffield Uni ..
I completely agree. In fact I'd even go so far as to discouraging going to Oxbridge. I went to Sheffield Uni for undergrad too and it was fantastic. I went on to Cambridge for my PhD, and quickly realised how lucky I was to have gone to Sheffield rather than Cambridge or Oxford for my first degree. Having gone to a grammar we were encourage to make Oxbridge applications, but I'm really glad I didn't bother. The undergrads I worked with at Cambridge just didn't have anything like the same experiences I'd had.

Mine went to just that. Then to Cambridge where she got a first
Then worked for a year to get herself through RADA and is now struggling.
Not that money is everything but a little helps.
She’ll get all mine in the end but my end is not yet nigh 😳

Fair enough. Just don't forget to keep back the vast amount of money they will need from you to get on the housing ladder after university....

I suspect that housing, rather than schooling, is going to be the single greatest contribution that a parent can make to their child's life from now on. The gap between those whose parents can provide a £100k deposit, and those whose parents can't, is going to be a much bigger deal than whether a fee paying school was provided.

The biggest advantage I had were my parents, who were first generation graduates in the 1940's in NZ. They imparted an appreciation of knowledge and learning. They also subjected me to the widest range of experiences possible. In amongst all those, I found some things that I cared passionately about, and the need to learn about them fueled academic learning (up to a point). Since living in the UK, I have had friends and acquaintances who had attended all three schools you mention. I think the schools can generate some very good people, and some very bad people, almost like any cross section of society. Winchester seemed to have created the most inquiring minds - but ultimately it is down to the individuals. As a rather horrid generalisation, I don't know that it did anyone any good having been there, other than perhaps fitting into a certain clique.

I read a quote that said the posh boys go to Eton and the clever Posh boys go to Winchester . Generally I find the clever people are the ones that are bullied at school as they are introverted, might be a good compromise

Fair enough. Just don't forget to keep back the vast amount of money they will need from you to get on the housing ladder after university....

I suspect that housing, rather than schooling, is going to be the single greatest contribution that a parent can make to their child's life from now on. The gap between those whose parents can provide a £100k deposit, and those whose parents can't, is going to be a much bigger deal than whether a fee paying school was provided.

I'm not too worried about housing ,that's a very British thing tbh , theres other parts of the world and a solid education that gets you a Visa is worth its weight in gold .

I read a quote that said the posh boys go to Eton and the clever Posh boys go to Winchester . Generally I find the clever people are the ones that are bullied at school as they are introverted, might be a good compromise
I think there is a problem with some schools were academic success is not appreciated by peers. My own experience was along those lines - it was hard to be smart and cool until about the age of 14 when the penny seemed to drop for people. (14-18 I was cool, though my kids don't believe it 😉)
I think one of the tricks the independent sector pulls off is opportunity for short term success again and again and again. It means that the there must be no losers ethos is not needed - as if you lost there was always something else
next week you could have a go at. In the state school that race you run might be the only thing till next year. It also means academic ability was less ‘stand out’ - as there is genuine success all over the place in all sorts of fields.

Mine went over to independent schools at the same time - aged 13,10,7. All thrived though the 13 year old took a bit of time to loose dependence on old friends despite making new ones just fine.
For the primary school pair we were really struck by how feminine an environment their old school had been. The private prep environment was much more suited and tolerant of my sons (the 10 year old) physical play. He regularly came home with bruises on his legs and elbows without an apologetic letter from his school - as it didn’t seem to bother him we thought that was great!
He’d never been in trouble for being physical at his previous primary but we were incredulous at his description of the class being told to walk fast, rather than run, in the school yard in case they bumped into each other!

we were incredulous at his description of the class being told to walk fast, rather than run, in the school yard in case they bumped into each other!
Yes, all too common now in our increasingly litigious society. 🙁
Many schools have banned British Bulldog and such playground games for some years now. I don't know if skipping ropes are still allowed!

Yes, all too common now in our increasingly litigious society. 🙁
Many schools have banned British Bulldog and such playground games for some years now. I don't know if skipping ropes are still allowed!

I will definitely be vetting any school , if I'm paying I want a good grounded education and experience, not a wishy washy PC institution like the BBC that rewrites history

Latest posts

Back