Equipment sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freeman & Harding email just now with link to prices for pickup at Stoneleigh 4th Feb - 12oz round jar + lid @ 63p each. Not great.

12oz hex jar with lid = 47p which is better.

The 12oz hex is described as having a capacity of 280ml and a common fill capacity of 12oz. With a specific gravity of 1.4, I calculate 280ml of honey would weigh 390g which is 13.75oz. I always check this as I have been caught out by this before and ended up having to add 50g of 'free' honey to each jar to make the fill level look right. The round jar is described as having a brimful capacity of 300ml and a common fill capacity of 12oz. 300ml would be 420g or 14.8oz.

Before I send a query in to F & H can someone tell me if I'm doing something stupid with my calculations here?

Freeman & Harding email just now with link to prices for pickup at Stoneleigh 4th Feb - 12oz round jar + lid @ 63p each. Not great.

12oz hex jar with lid = 47p which is better.

The 12oz hex is described as having a capacity of 280ml and a common fill capacity of 12oz. With a specific gravity of 1.4, I calculate 280ml of honey would weigh 390g which is 13.75oz. I always check this as I have been caught out by this before and ended up having to add 50g of 'free' honey to each jar to make the fill level look right. The round jar is described as having a brimful capacity of 300ml and a common fill capacity of 12oz. 300ml would be 420g or 14.8oz.

Before I send a query in to F & H can someone tell me if I'm doing something stupid with my calculations here?

I tried 12oz hex jars from The Bottle Company this year. They're also labelled as 280ml. I found 12oz of honey came just up inside the neck, leaving perhaps 4mm or 5mm to the bottom of the lid once fitted. I can grab one and take a photo if it would be useful.

James

I tried 12oz hex jars from The Bottle Company this year. They're also labelled as 280ml. I found 12oz of honey came just up inside the neck, leaving perhaps 4mm or 5mm to the bottom of the lid once fitted. I can grab one and take a photo if it would be useful.

James
Actually, 280 is probably right as it is described as the 'brimful' capacity. Take out 50 g and you probably get 12oz at the right position on the neck. I also have bought loads of round 12oz 'Hero' jars from The Bottle Company and they are just the job. I can still buy them for 37p for a jar and lid, but delivery for 600 is £55 making them 45p/jar 🙁

James
They're the ones I use. The only downside I have found (other than needing to aim square when you stick a label) is when you have a bit of foam from the last of the settling tank. It sits just under the neck and you can't get it out.

For any that missed the sales there’s another for the beekeeping show and pre order availability, so I’ve been told!

I've bought some hives from a company called Bee Hive Supplies, their poly is the best value on the market at the moment that I can find. It's the same footprint as Maisemore so completely interchangeable, I like their floors as well and the roof is a huge chunk of poly. They are incredibly helpful too.

to make the fill level look right
Yes, jar spec. varies and honey fills variably, and they don't look right (for sale) if the level is below the neck. It doesn't have to fill the neck, just get up into it.

I use hex from F&H and fill a 340 jar with 340g of honey, a 227 with 235g and a 113 with 135g. Any less honey and it won't get into the neck.

I've bought some hives from a company called Bee Hive Supplies, their poly is the best value on the market at the moment that I can find. It's the same footprint as Maisemore so completely interchangeable, I like their floors as well and the roof is a huge chunk of poly. They are incredibly helpful too.
Yes : their poly nuc is the best design available imo.

I bought some of their seconds brood boxes and made my own insulated UFEs. Plans are available for £100:)

Latest posts

Back