Enzymes in Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I believe there are enzymes in honey is this correct?
If so how many and what effect do they have on the honey?
It must be OK to have them because if they were detrimental in any way then we would not be able to sell our honey.

Regards;

Truth is I will have to go to my library to read up.

The bees add an enzyme to the nectar to turn it into honey

Nice post 'Mozzie'.

The bees add an enzyme to the nectar to turn it into honey
Veg; What is the enzyme that bees add to the nectar to produce honey then?

Regards;

The commonly used -ase suffix for naming enzymes was derived from the name diastase.

Hi Veg,

Invertase from the hypopharyngeal glands is added to the sucrose the bees bring back. This converts the sucrose to glucose and fructose. It is then ripened by reducing the water content. At the same time an enzyme diastase is produced and this breaks down any starch in the finished honey.

Well done that man.

There are five enzymes found in honey and they are; diastase, glucose oxidase, acid phosphatase, catalase and invertase. Enzymes are the proteins in honey. I would need to find out more if anybody is interested.

Regards;

I am interested in the possible benefits of enzymes in honey to consumers. Some of my customers seem a bit preoccupied with the idea of getting their honey as soon as they can after it is capped, saying that then they get all the benefits of the things that deteriorate over time... that they don't get from buying from the supermarket.

I tell them that I don't know about that... that honey would keep for years, that there was honey in the pyramids... they still want fresh... I can't see any benefits to anyone from those enzymes... especially if you are going to swallow them....can anyone else?

And is there any other benefit to eatring the honey sooner rather than later?

I have just looked up about enzymes in honey.

Because of the sensitivity of the enzyme diastase to heat it is used as an indication of the quality of honey.
When honey is heated to a high temperature it should be rapidly cooled to prevent destruction of the enzymes.
Reaction to ageing;
Heating and long term storage of honey will affect its colour, diastase and HMF factors. Honey should be stored at as low temperature as possible in clean air tight food containers. This type of storage will inhibit granulation, fermentation and any change in the diastase or HMF factor.
The darkening rate of the colour of honey depends on the composition of the honey e.g. acidity, nitrogen and fructose contents.

Not that this really helps answer the question.

Regards;

Polyanwood your friends could be talking about the antiseptic properties of the honey.

The antimicrobial effect of honey is in part down to hydrogen peroxide,over time in storage its broken down to oxygen and water.

Now that got me laughing... I can imagine them slapping it on all over.

I know there is evidence of it working on wounds though, you are right. K

Latest posts

Back