Entrance Block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelwine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
What are pros and cons of entrance blocks.
I noticed wasps heading into my hives so have closed down the entrances but I cannot help but wonder if this stops bees getting in as easily and what effect that has on the hive/harvest etc?
How long should I leave on the entrance block?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

You've answered your own question - 'I've noticed wasps getting in'. You might also be seeing bees going in but they might not be from that colony and on a robbing mission from a stronger hive.
At this time of year is it worth risking a colony for the sake of eeking out a bit more honey; that may get robbed out? Besides the flow is reducing so the bees will manage on reduced entrance blocks. I tend to leave blocks in for the remainder of season now.

As I said in the other thread about entrance reducing I leave my bog standard entrance blocks in all year round. The hives are on OMF's so ventilation is not a problem and I don't believe it affects the Honey crop. One hive has so far produced 173lbs of Honey this year.

Bees take care that no robber bees or wasp can go in. If they go, there are too few bees in the hive - too much free space..

Bees must occupy all frames and if an enemy goes inside onto the combs, it will be captured there.

Finman is spot on. Either chased out or carried out is OK; wasps flying out, after feeding, is bad news.

The entrance can be made any size you wish. It is not restricted to any one particular piece of wood stuffed in the slot at the front of the floor. Use your common sense and size the entrance to the bees' requirements.

others have reported that long tunnel like entrances are more effective at keeping wasps out. The tunnels are often under floor in the "dartington style"

Even 2-frame nucs defence themselves if frames are occupied. No one can protect non occupied combs. ...no tunnel entrances are needed. They are rare.

If bees occupy only half of frame, nothing saves that hive from robbing. Quard bees will not stand on empty entrance when evening is cold.

Went a way for a week and lost a weak nuc to wasps. Even with the entrance down to 1 bee space there just wasn't enough bees to keep them out and when I lifted the lid today all I saw was wasps. There was about 1/2 a frame of bees left and the queen so they are now in an Apidea until I decide what to do with them tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back