Enough space?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi my nuc has filled up nicely and after removing wild comb I have added final frame into my brood box so ready to add super. Had a quick look today but there are loads of bees outside on one side. I have removed all comb from inside hive so dont think entrance is blocked. Should I just add super now and create more space or should I open and check, just checked yesterday and all seems well? Is there a problem? I have a feeling that something is not quite right. In fact just checked again and still a cluster of bees at entrance.
Steve

How many frames of brood? - heat could be a lot of the problem (lot of mine are hanging about outside this evening) but it sounds like they need more space as well.

Bees will do this sometimes, my only concerns are how big was the cluster, was there there any bees on the comb removed and did you pop your inspection board in ?

I have 6 frames of brood 2 of honey and 1 which I just put in yesterday.
There was about a cluster of 50 or so bees outside.
I removed the wild comb, left it by the hive and they had all left it and returned to hive last night. So I have removed the comb completely.

5306_834026576614997_7546484279704027895_n.jpg

I think it's nice to see bees bearding,sign of a strong hive imo.These were mine last week.

Great thanks for photo! Have reassured me that they are doing ok! Only a few outside this morning on quick inspection.

Hi my nuc has filled up nicely-

A 9 frame nuc? Non comprendez!

50 bees is nothing, even for a nuc at this time of the year.

It does not need a super until the brood box is drawn. If you do, they will likely not finish drawing the brood and that may well lead to problems in getting them drawn , shoud there be a dearth of forage and a need to fill the box ready for the winter. Think ahead, and a bit more than a day or two.

I hope you are not feeding it. Two frames of stores should be adequate for such a small colony until the next inspection, especially if they are actively foraging, currently.

A projected time line, drawn now but modified as time progresses toward what you might best guess as 'end of season', is a good exercise for all new beeks. If might help an awful lot of them from jumping on here with problems, long after the issue could have been dealt with easily.

It should have been 8 brood frames 2 stores, new frame added and a dummy board. For brood box. Sorry typo.
Also I did have a time line after I went in bee keeping course but has been completely thrown with weather and speed they have produced and reproduced. Will amend but bit busy!

It should have been 8 brood frames 2 stores, new frame added and a dummy board. For brood box. Sorry typo.
Also I did have a time line after I went in bee keeping course but has been completely thrown with weather and speed they have produced and reproduced. Will amend but bit busy!

Steve,
has the Nuc been transferred to a full hive?

eight frames of brood and two of stores - put new frame between stores and brood then add a QX and a super. too much faffing around with one frame at a time is a recipe for swarming when you get to this size.

eight frames of brood and two of stores - put new frame between stores and brood then add a QX and a super. too much faffing around with one frame at a time is a recipe for swarming when you get to this size.

:iagree:
I don't want to be alarmist, but on the few occasions that mine have bearded supercedure or swarm preparations were afoot.

Latest posts

Back