Electrickery Jedi

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I need a transformer type set up to use as my wire embedder and was wondering if there is a cheaper way to buy/make one than pay the 40 odd quid one bee eqpt supplier currently has on sale for. As I know nothing about the dark arts of volts amps etc can anyone recommend a suitable and cheap transformer / convertor I could use please?

I need a transformer type set up to use as my wire embedder and was wondering if there is a cheaper way to buy/make one than pay the 40 odd quid one bee eqpt supplier currently has on sale for. As I know nothing about the dark arts of volts amps etc can anyone recommend a suitable and cheap transformer / convertor I could use please?
A car battery charger works for me, clip on each end of the wire, I have weighted each end, a button switch across the circuit. Simple

Last edited:
A car battery charger works for me, clip on each end of the wire, I have weighted each end, a button switch across the circuit. Simple
A Picture paints a thousand words chap. The nearest I get to this stuff is playing Operation at xmas with the grandkids

ATX Power supply from a dead desktop pc?
Useful for other stuff as you can also tap 3,5, and 7volts too with respectable amps.
have a dead laptop or two can they be press ganged back into service?

we managed fine out in Lesotho with a bog standard car battery charger (biggest challenge was sending someone three miles down the road to get tokens for the leccy meter) no need for any modified equipment, just lay the frame flat with the foundation laid over the wires, turn charger on, touch one terminal/crocodile clip to each end of the wire and it's done in seconds

have a dead laptop or two can they be press ganged back into service?
The laptop chargers might, depending on what output you need.
Quick look at one of ours: 14v, 4a.
Don't know if that is what is required, sorry.

As @jenkinsbrynmair....why make it harder for yourself.....low-tech and takes seconds. I suspect that you could even do it with one of those old fashioned, square radio batteries with spring terminals

we managed fine out in Lesotho with a bog standard car battery charger (biggest challenge was sending someone three miles down the road to get tokens for the leccy meter) no need for any modified equipment, just lay the frame flat with the foundation laid over the wires, turn charger on, touch one terminal/crocodile clip to each end of the wire and it's done in seconds
Yes thanks, bought a charger a while back for vaping then bought a genny. So I've redeployed it to wax wiring. :) Happy days.

Spring loaded movable board with the pins is tensioned with eccentric wheels and the wires are kept straight when embedding. Makes a neat job. See pictures - any questions just ask

Attachments

• IMG_3932.JPG
    IMG_3932.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3933.JPG
    IMG_3933.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back