electric extractors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a manual extractor and use a cordless drill to turn it , I have to hold it down when spinning honey out , would an electric spinner be the same

I have a manual extractor and use a cordless drill to turn it , I have to hold it down when spinning honey out , would an electric spinner be the same

Yes... you will find any centrifuge will dance around the room if not balanced out carefully!

putting the extractor on castors helps a lot, it either then glides graciously around the room or, if you put it on a piece of ply with fiddles on the edges, it just stays within those barriers and the castors absorb a lot of the jumping about.

thanks for that, have bought a 20frame electric spinner yesterday , Im thinking of bolting it to a large square of ply while using it and maybe weigh the frames before uncapping them

I agree with JBM. The difference is huge when you out casters on!
E

thanks for that, have bought a 20frame electric spinner yesterday , Im thinking of bolting it to a large square of ply while using it and maybe weigh the frames before uncapping them

The time gained by having a 20 frame extractor spent by weighing individual frames?
Castors are your way forward - I have an 8 frame drill powered extractor on castors that still moves but is manageable.

I judge weight of frames in my hand . In my 8 frame radial electric I rarely get much of a problem- if I do it is because I have forgotten to uncap one side of one frame! Or the honey has set ( OSR)

ok, can anyone suggest which castors to use the last ones I bought for something else were not as strong as they were made out to be
I was thinking of weighing by hand
my extractor has a reverse does that help much

Last edited:
ok, can anyone suggest which castors to use the last ones I bought for something else were not as strong as they were made out to be
I was thinking of weighing by hand

This is similar to what I have on my 8 frame extractor ebay item no 141810695105
You only extract in one direction and don't need to reverse.

Nope....Balance as best you can by eye....set off slowly and within a short time the frames are more or less equalized in weight
With larger extractors balance appears to be less of an issue.
I user a 20 frame Abelo with no castors and occasionally get a bit of "floor dancing" but only at the top speeds....anything less and its the uncapped side of frame syndrome.

Best way is to bolt it to the floor, mine sits on rubber shock absorbing pads and the lot bolted down.

I bolt ours to a pallet, this works and also gives a bit more height. Casters idea sounds interesting though as it would make the extractor more easily moved.
S

Latest posts

Back