Eke plans for 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browncow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Second post here (after pros & cons for 14x12) and after reading the replies I am going to try it out on 2 of my hives, however costing them from a couple of well known suppliers it sounds quit expensive, so has anyone got any simple plans out there.
Thanks in advance.

Rather than using 4 jointed "batons" I opted for for 2 full depth pieces fitted to the front and back inner solid wall.

IF you are never going to use them above another box, They are simple. Mine are all top bee space so even if'n I want to they are OK, as far as bee space is concerned.

Plans? Just do it!

Arrive at 19mm thick timber (planer thicknesser or buy in PSE). 18 to 20mm is OK.
Saw to required width (planer thicknesser again, if you have one - but sawn is good enough).
Cut side walls to length 460mm (could cut longer and trim to length later, but just so easy to set up a stop for multiple ekes).
Route two 19mm (timber thickness size) grooves on the sides with 372mm between the grooves (inner measurement, not centre to centre, so 25mm (+ or - ) between end of side and outer edge of groove.
Cut ends to fit giving 460 outside dimensions when firmly seated in the grooves, (too long not good - cut a bit more off, too short not good - fill groove with a suitable filler strip, just right - spot on!).

Assemble on a flat surface, one screw straight through for each corner. When satisfied they are square (some assemble on a queen excluder) and flat, glue up, add another screw at each corner but 'on the tosh' and leave to cure. I usually use a thin screw in the centre as a 'locator' then screw in two screws on the tosh.
Make end rails to butt inside the side walls - these can be more light-weight (thinner section) than the end rails on the deep boxes you are converting (never really any load on them). Nail or screw rails from the inside (fixing on the tosh, again) after a single screw through the side into the rail. Preservative and surface coatings (I varnish mine).
Job done.
Fit to bottom of deep box, with screws upwards through the rails.

If you must arrange for the bottom bee space, assembly can be done onto/into the inverted deep box (slightly thicker bottom rails will be needed to be sure to cover the effectively narrower end wall) or saw the timber narrower by your 'bee space'. They are a doddle to knock up, preferably several at a time.

Just tend to make them a mm too wide than finish a mm or two under on the inside measurements, otherwise you will always catch that lip with frames.

I use screws as though they are going out of fashion - far more than I need. Most could be removed once the glue has cured and the eke is fitted to the box. I don't like nails - shades of a site chippy! If you only screw and don't glue, they are easy enough to take apart. I think I only dabbed some glue on the butt joints on the rails (keeps water out of joint.

Cut for some extra, 'cos you will be changing your other deeps to 14 x 12! Stored flat pack, the extra outlay on the timber is not a lot. While you are at it, cut for some other sizes (for apiguard or feeding per eg) Narrow ones can be simple butt joints but 75 mm ones can be used as pairs for a super, or a shallow plus an eke for a deep brood (OK won't need that as you will soon convertt hem all to 14 x 12).

I have considered using only simple butt joints throughout, but always succumb and make that slightly better job. None have failed yet in about 8-9 years (although the first ones had tenon joints on the rails).

Regards, RAB

Thanks peps,
Olly if that is simple I think I better break the bank and get 2 from thornes!

Might only be 6-8 operations. Sorry if that is too much for you. All the rest were options and tips. Your choice. About four quid (maybe less) for the wood - could be free if you can wait and obtain it from skips?

I cut for ten at the last session. Timber was about thirty quid, maybe less, so prolly less than a fiver per eke completed. Saved about a hundred and sixty quid, not counting my labour.

Mine are for the more sensible (IMO) top bee space variant, so very simple and quick to make, assemble, and fix to the deep brood box.

RAB

You can buy 92mm x 18mm pine planking from B&Q for not much at all.
If you feel the urge you can do flashy corner joints, alternatively you can just butt joint and glue. 6 pices per eke, including the internal fill-ins. At 2.4m a plank for about £5 you need to make as multiples of 2 and at circa £7 an eke incl screws and glue its a snitch! Step the fill-ins and the ekes naturally lock to the bottom of a Std National BB. Screw plates secure and no messing about with top rails.

Converted 3 years ago and mine are still going strong

Last edited:
You can buy 92mm x 18mm pine planking from B&Q for not much at all.
If you feel the urge you can do flashy corner joints, alternatively you can just butt joint and glue. 6 pices per eke, including the internal fill-ins. At 2.4m a plank for about £5 you need to make as multiples of 2 and at circa £7 an eke incl screws and glue its a snitch! Step the fill-ins and the ekes naturally lock to the bottom of a Std National BB. Screw plates secure and no messing about with top rails.

Converted 3 years ago and mine are still going strong

I almost posted similar to this last night. Its a much simpler option for those with limited woodworking skills or fancy tools.

2x 460mm lengths
2x 424mm lengths
8x 45mm screws to make the eke
8x 20mm screws to secure the eke to the brood box
4x screw plates

Just make sure its as square as possible (measure opposite corners to confirm) and sits flat on a level surface but dont panic too much if its slightly off as you can correct that when securing it to the brood chamber.

Also makes a handy eke in the Autumn when feeding syrup or fondant.

Dr, top bee space and Mike a, thats spot on for me, woodworking skills and cooking dont work for me.I recon I can manage that plan.
Cheers

I almost posted similar to this last night. Its a much simpler option for those with limited woodworking skills or fancy tools.

2x 460mm lengths
2x 424mm lengths
8x 45mm screws to make the eke
8x 20mm screws to secure the eke to the brood box
4x screw plates

Just make sure its as square as possible (measure opposite corners to confirm) and sits flat on a level surface but dont panic too much if its slightly off as you can correct that when securing it to the brood chamber.

Also makes a handy eke in the Autumn when feeding syrup or fondant.

Dr, top bee space and Mike a, thats spot on for me, woodworking skills and cooking dont work for me.I recon I can manage that plan.
Cheers

:iamwithstupid:

Thanks Mike, from all us cack handed DIYnotters

Back