eke or super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have'nt got an eke can I use a super when using apigaurd or will it smell awful for ever afterwards if I do?

You could but the extra volume of air will make the Apiguard less effective and if the super is empty you may get a lot of wild comb when the ivy starts to flower... The smell doesn't seem to last too long afterwards.

You could buy some timber batons from the nearest DIY shop, cut 4 lengths and glue together to make an eke, it's only got to last 4 weeks or so.

Rich.

You could buy some timber batons from the nearest DIY shop, cut 4 lengths and glue together to make an eke, it's only got to last 4 weeks or so.

Rich.

Exactly what I have done, got myself 2 x 2.4m 18mmx38mm lengths for the extortionate rice of £3.10 :):)

You could but the extra volume of air will make the Apiguard less effective and if the super is empty you may get a lot of wild comb when the ivy starts to flower... The smell doesn't seem to last too long afterwards.

Rich.
:iagree:

Its about giving extra 'headroom', but not more than needed.

Doesn't need to be strong. Only needs to support the coverboard (with any holes blocked) and the roof.
I see from their website that B&Q offer
Planed Smooth Timber (L)2100 x (W)32 x (T)12mm
for £1.97
For a National, cut it to give four lengths (461-12 = ) 449mm and assemble (glue & nail or screw) to make a square (32 mm tall) ... Robert is then your Auntie's brother.

You could but the extra volume of air will make the Apiguard less effective

:iagree:

Its about giving extra 'headroom', but not more than needed.

well that is not what the manufacturers of Apiguard say, extract from their advisor note on apiguard FAQ 1

(use a spacer [an eke] or, more preferably an empty super on top of the brood chamber)

so why are you disagreeing with the manufacturer statement on how apiguard is used...have you further information from them that the use of a super is not better than the use of an Eke

ok, you may GET BRACE COMB but you can remove that and they can build multple comb in an eke (which can be worse that removing a large piece from a super)

see their full FAQ on the use of apiuard

Last edited:
The instructions on the box of Apiguard say:
"Ensure there is a free space of at least 0.5cm between the top of the tray and the hive cover board, for example, by placing an eke or empty super on top of the brood box."

MM, I didn't know that was their official line!

I have gone by custom and practice, even the offers of 40mm high "Apiguard ekes" from the major equipment suppliers, but did note the advice of my SBI that the latest thinking was that more headroom (up to 10 beespaces he said) might be better (and that is only half a National super).

Since the vapour is heavier than air, it will tend to concentrate more in the bottom of the hive than in the top headroom. Hence my uncertainty as to what benefit the headroom might provide. Better convective circulation of vapour within the hive?

Providing unrestricted access to the tray (and without inviting brace or propolis to the tray) has seemed the primary requirement.

MM, I didn't know that was their official line!

I have gone by custom and practice, even the offers of 40mm high "Apiguard ekes" from the major equipment suppliers, but did note the advice of my SBI that the latest thinking was that more headroom (up to 10 beespaces he said) might be better (and that is only half a National super).

Since the vapour is heavier than air, it will tend to concentrate more in the bottom of the hive than in the top headroom. Hence my uncertainty as to what benefit the headroom might provide. Better convective circulation of vapour within the hive?

Providing unrestricted access to the tray (and without inviting brace or propolis to the tray) has seemed the primary requirement.

Agree with your last line and in reguards to their prefernce to use of supers ,well , neither did i know their official line until i re read the FAQ again LOL i have a mix of eke and supers ,both seem to work.

i wonder if the larger area is better in warmer climates or higher daily temeperatures...ie lower the vapour concnetration if too warm

Thanks for all the advice - I didn't intend to start a war! - it seems to be a speciality of beekeepers to disagree vigorously lol

I suspect the further north the less the need for the super and more the eke.

PH

What about getting some kingspan and carving a space for the tray that allowed the recommended space around it?
This could go in a super or eke according to how thick the kingspan was.

(I've yet to get hold of some kingspan for insulation purposes so it might not carve as well as I imagine ... and will the bees nibble at it?)

Yes the bees will chew at any exposed parts of insulation.

As for eke or super I have seen both on a hive at the same time :willy_nilly:

You can use a super!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGSp3VEeAg[/ame]

There are more video clips from Vita on Utube.

Looks like they have left the crown boards with open holes!

Latest posts

Back