eggs !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I did an AS on 30th May. I made colony #3, with a sealed QC in it, stores etc.
On 20th June I checked this new colony #3, and there was no sign of any Q, eggs or larvae or any QC
On 27th June I checked it again and found lots of eggs and some big and small larvae....hurrah I thought !
On 5th July I had another look and found sealed brood, lots of eggs, big and small larvae.... but there is something not quite right.
The eggs in the main laying area of the frame are single eggs as usual, but around the edge of these are some(estimate 20) cells with 2 eggs in.
So I think I must have a laying worker as well as a queen (the pairs of eggs do seem to be in the bottom of the cells though, not further up the sides)
Or maybe I don't have a mated queen and the workers have begun to lay drones too ? Or is a worker laying because the queen has only just got going ?
Any ideas anybody ?

If eggs are in the base of the cell they are from a queen . A laying workers abdomen is not long enough to reach .
2 eggs in a cell happens sometimes with a newly laying queen . Its all new to her and the workers normally sort it out .
Have another look in a week or two .
G

:iagree:

Just a queen getting to grips with what is what.

At least you can see them... great help.:)

Egg spotting tip... work the hive with the sun (if it ever finds it's way back) behind you.

PH

One of my best queens(temperament, productivity and swarminess) bangs out a few double eggs, and has done so for at least three years now. I graft from her, and this appears to be a consistent trait.

If you have a queen, stop worrying about laying workers. There are likely some in most hives. It is only when tthe hive become Q- that any problem is likely to arise.

Thanks all, very interesting, I have never seen 2 eggs in a cell before and am quite pleased when I spot any without my glasses on !

Back