Eggs instead of larvae

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi All,

Is it possible to use fresh eggs instead of larvae in queen cups when grafting and if not why?

Thanks Neil.

Because they are too fragile? I think I'm right in saying bees are the only creatures whose eggshells gradually dissolve until they become larvae. Vulnerable.

But you can post them.

I believe that Dave Cushman used to exchange eggs with someone through the post, which utilised bits of plastic flower pots. The logic being that they were more robust than larvae.

I wouldn't so much think of grafting eggs, more harvesting cells with eggs, so not to disturb them.

Brother Adam also used to post eggs. Bear in mind, though, that larvae need feeding regularly, whereas eggs probably only require correct temperature & humidity for three days. Far easier to send eggs in a controlled environment than effectively to send a nuc to maintain larvae...?

Grafting eggs is a lot trickier than larvae. I did it last summer to fool somebody that their Jenter had had a laying worker in it and it took a lot of skill to make a half-decent looking result. Using something like Jenter cups to move eggs is far easier as they do not need to be touched.

You have to have your timings spot-on with queen raising. It is easy to positively identify one day old larvae; eggs generally look like eggs for three days. To me this would be the greatest hurdle with egg transfer as opposed to larval transfer.

Eggs start "in line" with the cell when freshly laid, standing on the end of the egg, and then droop to end up on day three lying on the floor of the cell.

PH

Is it possible to use fresh eggs instead of larvae in queen cups when grafting

No.

if not why?

Because it doesn't work!

Would you not think this had been tried, probably before going to all the trouble of transferring larvae?

And i you effectively graft the cell with the egg instead of the egg? Just like using a cell punch . . . a more linear fashion perhaps using a sharp blade.

Is it possible to use fresh eggs instead of larvae in queen cups when grafting

No.

if not why?

Because it doesn't work!

Would you not think this had been tried, probably before going to all the trouble of transferring larvae?

Its something that I have never considered.

Who is to say that a queen does not lay a percentage of day old eggs at 45 deg rather than 90 deg.

Interesting..

Sort of is the answer though I've forgotten the question:eek:.

I intend to try this one day when I find the time....if you cut small groups of cells and reduce the contents down to one egg and hang from grafting bar they will often take. Apparently. If you hang one cell with an egg in on the other hand the workers will remove it.

Latest posts

Back