EFB, distances and amount of forage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same in France with AFB if the colony is thought worth saving, otherwise the bees are burnt along with everything else and the ashes buried.

Chris

That's quite an interesting paper altogether but I think this bit from the paper itself might answer your question of why we in the UK don't advocate shook swarming AFB:

Although shaking AFB infected hives is an effective control method, there are also good arguments to continue stamping out of clinically diseased colonies where this method is used. In Sweden, this system has dramatically diminished the rate of clinically diseased colonies since applied in 1974 (Anon., 2005). Data from New Zealand also show that stamping out of clinically diseased colonies has decreased the number of colonies that become infected each year (Goodwin & Van Eaton, 1999). In Denmark, where shaking of AFB-diseased colonies is allowed, the prevalence of AFB is higher than in Sweden (Hansen, 1992).

edited to add: As for EFB - it lives in the guts of larvae and starves the larvae - it's passed on when the bees feed infected brood food to their larvae - so I believe the thinking behind shook swarming EFB colonies is to eliminate the infected larvae

So shook swarming is an effective control method for AFB and yet we dont countenance it as a legal method while EFB isnt so effectively controlled by shook swarming and we do ?!
EFB survives subclinicaly in bees waiting for a stress event to become a clinical case while AFB only survives subclinicaly for any length of time as spores.
Your argument as to why shook swarming is effective for EFB is doubly so for AFB as spores dont exist for any length of time on the bees themselves and the infective material is left behind very effectively by a shook swarm and furthermore, unlike with EFB, it would be possible to confirm the treatment had been effective upon re examination within a few brood cycles.

Incidences of AFB outbreak is rarer than EFB though ... is that down to stampign out of diseased colonies in AFB cases?

Incidences of AFB outbreak is rarer than EFB though ... is that down to stampign out of diseased colonies in AFB cases?

Would them in charge be thinking of culling badgers if tb in cattle was centered in the south east ? May be a bit of a tangent, but its probably simular to our policies on AFB and EFB.
There is considerable pressure from certain quarters to delist EFB from the notifiable list, and thats from areas where it is a problem.
Check the historical prevalence of each on the map if you think this may be a conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
The reason why I made the quip about being reported to the bee police is because there have been many instances of people on this forum making such a suggestion about reporting other keepers and the manner on which they choose to manage their colonies.

Yep that seems the type of evidence many of your post are based on Chris!!

Not very strong on actual substance or evidence.

Yep that seems the type of evidence many of your post are based on Chris!!

Not very strong on actual substance or evidence.

Well I'll assume you have been reading this forum for several years if not actually participating and have simply missed such posts. Not to worry, they do exist I can assure you - bullshit and make things up I don't.

Chris

Would them in charge be thinking of culling badgers if tb in cattle was centered in the south east ? May be a bit of a tangent, but its probably simular to our policies on AFB and EFB.
There is considerable pressure from certain quarters to delist EFB from the notifiable list, and thats from areas where it is a problem.
Check the historical prevalence of each on the map if you think this may be a conspiracy theory.
I wondered if the pressure to delist might actually succeed soon - staff cuts and savings, reduced funding etc... not a subscriber of conspiracy theories myself

read more beekeeping books and less law books.

What I have looked TV series, British villages are full of criminals and self made detectives. I am sure that police has no time to catch beekeepers when they hunt village murderers.

I can assure you my Finnish friend that Midsomer, and Emmerdale are fictitious places!

I can assure you my Finnish friend that Midsomer, and Emmerdale are fictitious places!

My theory is that Finman is a fictitious character.

Or the product of an mad scientist's breeding programme - the result of a combination of genes from Brosville, RAB, Karol and Gavin.

Dusty.

My theory is that Finman is a fictitious character.

Or the product of an mad scientist's breeding programme - the result of a combination of genes from Brosville, RAB, Karol and Gavin.

Dusty.

when I look your picture, if I were you, I would select safer pissing place.
But dig dig dig

Last edited:

have you noticed how fictious are your beekeeping problems.
In my 50 year beekeeping I have not met such observations what I may read every day from this forum.

I have thougt that it is a Shakespeare Syndroma joined the social drama.

To enlarge the hive with hair dryer is best what I have ever heard.
I use to give a frame of emerging brood but a hair dryer.....James Bond , the Old Fart

have you noticed how fictious are your beekeeping problems.
In my 50 year beekeeping I have not met such observations what I may read every day from this forum.

I have thougt that it is a Shakespeare Syndroma joined the social drama.

To enlarge the hive with hair dryer is best what I have ever heard.
I use to give a frame of emerging brood but a hair dryer.....James Bond , the Old Fart
Fin

I hope you're not saying that EFB is a fictitious beekeeping problem.

I know you're still disturbed over the idea of a hair dryer (I'm beginning to wonder if you suffer from some form of alopecia - my sympathies if that is the case) but I can't see the relevance of it to this thread.

What I've learnt from this thread amongst other things is this

- practise good apiary and general beekeeping hygiene

- keep colonies strong and stress free

- be vigilant inspecting brood conditions particularly when there's suspected outbreak of EFB in the vicinity

Cheers to everyone who has contributed

bee-smillie

- practise good apiary and general beekeeping hygiene

- be vigilant inspecting brood conditions particularly when there's suspected outbreak of EFB in the vicinity

Yes, I believe your concern about bees sharing forage is an insignificant cause of transmission.

Robbing weak diseased colonies (and to a lesser extent drifting) are the bees' self-made problems.
Any colonies awaiting confirmation or treatment should have severely restricted entrances to minimise their being robbed.
Apart from that, most of the spread is likely human-vectored - whether on beekeepers' kit or by permitting bees access to honey that carries the disease (including imported honey).

Fin

I hope you're not saying that EFB is a fictitious beekeeping problem.

bee-smillie

i suppose that you have not born then when I cured my first EFB cases 45 years ago.
The crossings of Black bee and Caucasian bee got often Efb.
When I noticed that with changing the queen I can get rid off the diseases.

Yes, you hope that I keep EFB as fictious disease. I wonder why you hope that.
I think that you keep me as 2-hive owner.

.i have not learned anything from this thread. I have said these same things at least ten times.

I read university researches if I want to learn somethin about EFB.

i suppose that you have not born then when I cured my first EFB cases 45 years ago.
The crossings of Black bee and Caucasian bee got often Efb.
When I noticed that with changing the queen I can get rid off the diseases.

Yes, you hope that I keep EFB as fictious disease. I wonder why you hope that.
I think that you keep me as 2-hive owner.

.i have not learned anything from this thread. I have said these same things at least ten times.

I read university researches if I want to learn somethin about EFB.

Dear dear Fin

I bow to your vast and superior omniscience - clearly we were not born in the same century nor made of the same stuff. I wouldn't dream of keeping you a moment longer

not worthy

Fin

that surely not works. i have just now 20 mating nucs which have 1-4 frames.
But their brood area is even. If I see a sporous brood area, I squize the queen at once.
It is called selection or breeding.

EFB DOES NOT DEPEND ON SIZE OF COLONY. colony must be disease free is it half frame colony of 50 frames.

Efb is said to be more stress disease than infection disease. But what is non stress nursing, i do not know.

Latest posts

Back