Easiest Hive to make?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Been out of the beekeeping game for around 10 years now and looking to get back into it.
Looking at making my own hives and first thought was commercials would be the easiest to make plus I can use some national kit with them as well if needed.

Just wondered what other people’s thoughts were are commercials easier to make at home and does anyone have any plans for them they’d recommend? Thanks

I make all my own kit except supers and run Comrcls. I can make Comrcl BB's for about £8 each.

If I had my time again I'd run Langstroth's but I'm happy with Comrcl's

Langstroths were an option it’s just the non compatibility with national supers that put me off a bit. Might have to have a rethink how do you find the price of frame for them?

I make Langstroths. Very simple to make .So simple, even I can do it.

Top bar are likely the easiest to make - no strict specifications to adhere to.
Now, did you expect that, from the actual question asked?🙂

Top bar are likely the easiest to make - no strict specifications to adhere to.
Now, did you expect that, from the actual question asked?🙂

They are also the most difficult to manage apart from a "proper" Warre as defined by the Abbe. At least in my experience. . But cheap beekeeping with minimal honey.- well at least in a good year.

Don’t suppose anyone has any good commercial plans, all the ones I can find on google only mention external diameters!

Don’t suppose anyone has any good commercial plans, all the ones I can find on google only mention external diameters!
You should be able to calculate the inside dimensions allowing for bee space from the commercial frame size. Will you make it top or bottom bee-spaced ?

The box is the easy bit, it's the making 50 or so frames per hive, in whatever system you choose that's the difficult bit. So choose a mainstream system and stick with it.

look on Dave Cushman's pages
About the only reason it's worth going there nowadays.

look on Dave Cushman's pages
About the only reason it's worth going there nowadays.
They’re great pages I remember using them when I first started and Dave was running them himself. Unfortunately I can’t find any hive plans on there although there are commercial frame plans. I might end up just buying a commercial brood box and use that to copy off!

They’re great pages I remember using them when I first started and Dave was running them himself. Unfortunately I can’t find any hive plans on there although there are commercial frame plans. I might end up just buying a commercial brood box and use that to copy off!
Ah, they've been pattersoned

There were never any plans for the commercial hives on Dave Cushman's site. I actually had to do as Murox suggested when I made a commercial brood box for Roger.

Latest posts

Back