Early build up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha...not mine! They won't touch them.

Slugs love borage..

Strange how things vary: my chickens just slurp up the slugs - only yesterday, I watched as one of the chooks beat up two big slugs in succession to make them soft enough to swallow - it was fowl; all I could do not to throw up.

And borage seems to be one of the few things that slugs don't touch but the chooks love it (hope it ain't poisonous to chickens...).

Strange how things vary: my chickens just slurp up the slugs - only yesterday, I watched as one of the chooks beat up two big slugs in succession to make them soft enough to swallow - it was fowl; all I could do not to throw up.

And borage seems to be one of the few things that slugs don't touch but the chooks love it (hope it ain't poisonous to chickens...).

I have just checked in "Poisonous Plants In Britain" and I quote "Comfrey (Borage) appears to cause poisoning in animals only rarely" No mention of birds but is used in herbal teas for human consumption so no risk of poisoning to you or your birds.

Mike

I have just checked in "Poisonous Plants In Britain" and I quote "Comfrey (Borage) appears to cause poisoning in animals only rarely" No mention of birds but is used in herbal teas for human consumption so no risk of poisoning to you or your birds.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it doesn't sound as if there will be any issue, but does this book distinguish between borage, Borago, and comfrey, Symphytum, please? I have both, but I only put the comfrey in at the back end of last year and the chooks haven't had access to it yet - it's just beginning to sprout, now.

It lists Boraginaceae Comfrey and Symphytum together, but it lists Hound's Tongue, Purple Viper's Bugloss and Common Viper's Bugloss are listed separately. Hounds tongue has become a problem after the 1950 when myxomatosis was introduced and the rabbits which used to control it died and the plant spread, There is a report of cattle being killed after eating this plant.

So don't worry chickens ARE VERY SELECTIVE IN WHAT THEY EAT.

mIKE

Thanks for the info, Mike. I have read that chickens are supposed to know what to avoid, but mine obviously didn't read the bit about avoiding privet, so I wondered if there was anything else I should exclude them from.

Despite the privet, they seem to survive quite well - particularly as I don't have the heart to wring their necks when they stop producing!:rolleyes:

Back