Ear to the hive again.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Trying to second guess how the bees are doing by listening to the level of humming. Impossible task I am sure. They have been humming quietly during the worst of this cold spell, but late this afternoon they sounded a bit louder and I could hear a buzz from individual bees now and then. Three degrees warmer at 5C. Does that mean that they are have broken cluster and is on the fondant? Here's hoping!

I listened to my bees on Sunday...the faint sound of humming came as music to my ears,as it proved they had survived the winter so far (fondant is on) as well as a traumatic move.
All I can say for sure is that they're humming,they are still alive!

this may help without wondering, i have wooden framed, glass quilts so roof off and i can see without any heat escaping just whats happening in there. The frame is bee space on one side, deeper on the other to take a patie of fondant in the winter so one side is for summer the other side for winter, maybe i ought to patent it!!

I totally agree with adrian....having glazed crown board really adds to the enjoyment of keeping bees. Taking flash photos up through the OMF can also be a revelation.

You must bear in mind that how ever well you insulate on top, glass tends to create condensation and can result in water drops falling into the centre of the cluster. This can be ameliorated by a bit of top ventilation at the edge of the crown board by inserting slivers of wood at the corners.

i leave the feed hole in the centre bar open, seems to work ok with condensation, oh i do have open mesh floors, which may help too

adrian, imo that's a disaster! I'm surprised your bees over winter with a cold draught funnelling up through the centre of the hive!

Solve all your problems...

PICT1958.jpg

I totally agree with adrian....having glazed crown board really adds to the enjoyment of keeping bees. Taking flash photos up through the OMF can also be a revelation.

You must bear in mind that how ever well you insulate on top, glass tends to create condensation and can result in water drops falling into the centre of the cluster. This can be ameliorated by a bit of top ventilation at the edge of the crown board by inserting slivers of wood at the corners.

Oh dear.

Personally, I think see-through cover boards should be part of every beginning beekeeper's kit.
I advocate their use, year round.

Glass is however a really bad thermal insulator. Every single-glazed window demonstrates that.
Plastic is a bit better. (But scratches more easily)

Glass does not "create" condensation.
Cold glass plus warm moist air (as from the bees) is indeed going to be an obvious site for condensation.
However the problem is the glass being cold!
If the clear cover can be warmed up (by the bees) to be simply warmer than the side walls, there won't be condensation on the cover board!
Getting the cover warmer than the walls requires that the cover be well insulated. Plastic therefore requires less insulation than glass.
Getting the insulation to be "well-fitted" takes a little care.
But it does need to fitted snug to the cover, and as draughtproof as possible.

Insulation, to allow the cover to be warmer than the walls, not ventilation, is the answer.
Using polycarbonate cover boards with 2" Celotex (or Kingspan, Recticell, Xtratherm, etc) insulation board snugly fitted above it (inside a super), I have not had a problem with condensation.

Last edited:
As a result of this thread,last night I bought a stethoscope for £3:65 inc P&P from a "Well-known online auction site"....I'm wary of lifting the crown board in winter just to "take a peek" especially as it's not a big colony and it has already suffered one trauma (toppled hive while moving) this year,but it'd be nice to hear the hum.
If it's a roaring success (ta-dish!) I'll let you know....

Shimming with matchsticks? Just build your boxes so out of square that they don't sit tight on eachother:rolleyes: That is how commercially purchased boxes in the US come :D

As a result of this thread,last night I bought a stethoscope for £3:65 inc P&P from a "Well-known online auction site"....I'm wary of lifting the crown board in winter just to "take a peek" especially as it's not a big colony and it has already suffered one trauma (toppled hive while moving) this year,but it'd be nice to hear the hum.
If it's a roaring success (ta-dish!) I'll let you know....

What's wrong with putting an ear to the side of the hive, cheaper! Still if someone gets ill, you can play with it. :)
If you can't hear anything, give the hive a tap with you knuckle then you will hear a buzz. Have done this all winter and checked this morning, and this afternoon out collecting pollen.

Last edited:
In a word....Tinnitus.
Still,as you say,I can always play Doctors and nurses with it....

Well we've been using perspex for 30 Years no problem with condensation ever.

Latest posts

Back