DVD for Beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Is there a decent DVD available which shows you the basics of beekeeping??

I really found the Paul metcalf one excellent for a beginner. The clips on you tube are great for adding knowledge on particular things - eg some great ones of the waggle dance, treating with almost any of the varroa treatments. Be careful you know where each clip relates to - it can confuse a newbie if they see practices in one area which are different from the UK. they may be good practices, but when you are new, too many different ideas can confuse and also some practices are appropriate because weather conditions are so different.

Why did I like the Paul Metcalf? Well, it goes through inspections at key times - Spring, Summer, getting ready for winter and also shows honey extraction. Bear in mind it was made pre recent varroa strategies/problems. Paul also has a nice manner with the bees - calm and almost gently hypnotic and I think as a newbie you remember something you have seen more than something you have read. Lastly, because they are real inspections, you get an idea of the ways the bees swirl around and even the sound of them so you don't get too much of a shock when you do your own inspections.
I would endorse the suggestion of that video from others.
Tricia

Beeworks dot com.
I have all his videos and they are very good. He's an english beekeeper operating in Canada.
I ordered them from his website and if you drop him an email he will tell you the postage rates, I think it only cost me a couple of pounds to have them sent over....

Brian.

You could also have a look at some of HP's excellent offerings on this forum

I haven't seen Paul's video but he teaches beekeeping at Easton College near Norwich at the apiary where Norfolk Beekeepers do their stuff; Paul (NDB) know what he's doing for sure.
If you go to the Royal Nofolk Show next week there will be videos for sale at the Norfok Beekeepers Tent/Stall thing I expect.
(Thursday will be busy as some schools are off due to striking teachers. :( )

definitely recommend Pauls Video.
a thorough guide to the years beekeeping, filmed over 2 years, btw.

(I'm fortunate to have been taught Beekeeping by Paul)

rgds, Tony

I've ordered 'An Introduction to Beekeeping,' with Paul Metcalf. Hopefully it should be here tomorrow...... Thanks for the advice

The review of this on Amazon is very negative. I would be interested to hear your opinion, when you have seen the DVD. If you disagree with the review, and Mr Metcalf is at least a friend of a friend of the forum, maybe you should post something more positive

David

there is only one review on 'amazon', and yes, it ain't exactly positive!!

Paul has been teaching beekeeping for years, he's the president of the NBKA, and teaches at Easton College.

all of the beekeepers I know who've seen the DVD recommend it.

You might also want to look at 'Beginners Guide to Beekeeping' here's a link to Amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beekeeping-Beginners-Guide-to/dp/B003NPY0BY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311179055&sr=8-2[/ame]

and a preview here.

http://www.webevision.co.uk/bgb/bgb.html

The DVD is very good, its very useful for newbie to beekeeping, it goes through a complete year, yes i would recommend it

I have the earlier VHS version . don't know if the DVD has been upgraded (content that is?)

VM

Latest posts

Back