Dummy WBC Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Anyone make empty WBC hives?

I got 4 big ugly rusty manhole covers in the middle of my garden, so was thinking some "dummy" hives might improve the look. They are for sceptic tank acess.

Sticking real hives on them is a no go, the covers are removeable for a reason!

Next year I will be having two "real" hives located in another part of the garden for the bee's

Last edited:
Anyone make empty WBC hives?

I got 4 big ugly rusty manhole covers in the middle of my garden, so was thinking some "dummy" hives might improve the look. They are for sceptic tank acess.

Sticking real hives on them is a no go, the covers are removeable for a reason!

Next year I will be having two "real" hives located in another part of the garden for the bee's

Anything stopping you using real hives on wheels?

I should have mentioned they in a big rockery centre piece, wheels are great idea if it was patio though

I have similar situation, but I just put superfluous hanging baskets on the ground with loads of bee friendly plants in. Covers the area with spreading flowers and is useful. Just a thought.

I don't think I would like to inflict the gaseous emissions of any drain or septic tank on a hive of bees by housing them above it. :puke:

And a rusty old cover may collapse when a flow on.... either way!!

But tank may have rockery over with the access covers nearby.

How can you have a rockery on top of a septic tank?

If properly buried you can have a lawn above and run a lawnmower over:)

If properly buried you can have a lawn above and run a lawnmower over:)

Yeah, but a lawn is flat - I have a sewer manhole cover in mine. But a rockery is a hill of rocks and soil and plants - you can't put a manhole cover in the middle.
Unless it's just a patch of ground with a few rocks dropped here and there and glorified by the name.

Hear hear... He is a bit of a Neanderthal.
But gives good advice... for a Welshie!

Ah well, she can teach you to spell in return:p

I sometimes have the same problem with the spoken word - when she worked as a librarian I mean to ask her whether she could source a copy of 'of Whales and Men' what I actually said was 'will you marry me'.......DOH!

Back