Drunken Bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just about to add supers to a couple of hives. The supers have last years frames with some traces of honey. The smell is a bit boozy, possibly the leftover honey fermenting.
Is it safe to add then on the assumption the the bees will clean them up before using them or shall I simply dump the frames and replace with new foundation. Just don't want the bees having hangovers - been there - not nice.

No problem giving bees back the supers they’ll clean.

Is it safe to add then on the assumption the the bees will clean them up before using them
Perfectly safe to give them back to the bees - they'll be up there like a shot and the comb will be nice and clean ready for more honey in no time
or shall I simply dump the frames and replace with new foundation.
certainly not, I have some frames here that are years old, always stored wet and given back to the bees to clean the year after

Perfectly safe to give them back to the bees - they'll be up there like a shot and the comb will be nice and clean ready for more honey in no time

certainly not, I have some frames here that are years old, always stored wet and given back to the bees to clean the year after
Thanks all. I'll put them on the next warmish day and ask the bees to keep singing and general drunken behaviour down to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back