Drought and Water Supply

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puts on serious hat ...

I agree,powdered/dried water would be a better option.
You mean the stuff they invented a year or so ago? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7964109/Scientists-create-dry-water.html
Great, that has solved it , I will fill a balloon with steam, that's less dense than ice
Could you rig up some sort of dew pond, as big as a bird bath, using bubble wrap to catch dew and funnel it downwards? It would probably look a bit weird, but it might work. (Concept from here http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v414/n6859/abs/414033a0.html and http://www.source.irc.nl/page/42094 if the other link's too long to work)

The poem took 2 years to write and the years quoted do not of course refer to the poet's lifespan.

I know, just got my Water Bill......£178 per Cubic Metre (that is including sewage disposal)

i hope it works very well as it is sited at Beckton on the Thames and is the sewage outfall for london......... ultimate recycling i suppose

Price of water has nothing to do with the 3,609 million litres of water that leaks from water pipes every day does it???

Originally Posted by MuswellMetro View Post
I know, just got my Water Bill......£178 per Cubic Metre (that is including sewage disposal)
That is £28400 per year for the average London house hold using 40 cubic meters per quarter !
You should move to Cornwall, we only have to pay half of that!

i hope it works very well as it is sited at Beckton on the Thames and is the sewage outfall for london......... ultimate recycling i suppose
Price of water has nothing to do with the 3,609 million litres of water that leaks from water pipes every day does it???

No it is to do with the profits that water company shareholders expect

not forgetting that the great unwashed are expected to cough up for future pipelines to replace the leaky Victorian ones... years of underinvestment in public utilities I suppose :banghead:

The poem took 2 years to write and the years quoted do not of course refer to the poet's lifespan.

On this theme I recall writing in a history essay that Shakespeare died on the same day he was born. Making him an incredibly gifted child, as my teacher pointed out.

(23 April if anyone cares/wants a pub quiz answer)

Originally Posted by MuswellMetro View Post
That is £28400 per year for the average London house hold using 40 cubic meters per quarter !
You should move to Cornwall, we only have to pay half of that!

:

Oooops that is 178 pence per cubic metre not £s....so £284

I can't wait to get the new rates when they build the Thames Sewage Tunnel,probabley force me to move out of London being a pensioner:cuss:

No it is to do with the profits that water company shareholders expect
Quite. There's a regulation loophole that was built into privatisation. if water companies spend money on leak fixing, it counts as current expenditure and comes out of their general revenue, that is the cash they already charge you as water rates or metered charges. More expense, less profit.

If they spend on 'capital projects' like desalination plants they can increase charges to pay for it and add a percentage profit. It doesn't matter that fixing leaks would be far more effective, the profits are in building new plant. Profits, even if the new plant is never used because the energy input needed for desalination is ridiculously expensive. Although if they can figure out a way to turn it on in 'emergencies' they may get planning permission to build another.

When I kept my bees in the back garden they were always most interested in the grow bags I used for my veg. when collecting water.
never went near the clean water.
You could try a well soaked growbag near the hives, open only partially.

Billy

Bees do prefer dirty water for the warmth that it tends to have.

PH

Oooops that is 178 pence per cubic metre not £s....so

£284

:ack2:My latest bill from South West Water
was a massive £4.82 per cubic meter!​

Bees seem to like the water in neighbours bird bath, which she keeps topped up all year... for the bees... bless her !

( and she says she has had the best crop of her vegetable garden for YEARS... all down to MY bees !!)

Must go do not want to bore anyone about beestuff now! Zzzzzzzzzzz

Bees do prefer dirty water for the warmth that it tends to have.
There is another one or even two reasons for them preferring water that is not clean. Why would water that you refer to as dirty be warmer than clean?

When I kept my bees in the back garden they were always most interested in the grow bags I used for my veg. when collecting water.
never went near the clean water.
You could try a well soaked growbag near the hives, open only partially.

Billy

I've seen peat in water ercommended; but I'd be careful about peat based compost/growbag, as that has soluble fertilizer added.

Because it is darker and so absorbs more heat.
Oh I see! So, it has nothing to do with the fact that it may contain more nutrients or salt or no chlorine? Water with salt in it is no darker than water without, but is more attractive to bees and many other insects.
As an avid lepidopterist, we often only urinate in a single spot when in rainforest and many male butterflies will visit this to drink. Many a time they fight one or another to have access as food/drink is at a premium. It is often possible to see more than 500 species of butterflies a day in a single spot.

Last edited:
I didn't say that I said the most obvious bit. I wasn't aware I was on a challenge for chapter and verse.

PH

Latest posts

Back