Droppings on inspection board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Obee1, I have always assumed those droppings were from earwigs as I usually see them and the adult earwigs at the same time. How nice for you to see the brood with permission to open as well. Hope they are nice bees next spring, but don't judge their temperament this late in the season. Fingers crossed for you.

Sorry, bit late to the party but those are deffo earwig droppings... I had an empty box full of earwigs in the shed... no wax as not bee related, the bottom of the box was covered in those.

Sorry, bit late to the party but those are deffo earwig droppings... I had an empty box full of earwigs in the shed... no wax as not bee related, the bottom of the box was covered in those.

why they are in one place, if they are earwig's. What it has so much to eate in same spot?

nice to see the forum back to normal winter service - three pages of talking sh1t :D

Just as well.
Stan is away so I am excused household chores
I have had to resort to catching up with last year's honey show videos on yootoob.
Though thankfully something I had ordered for the apiary came just after he left ......yay!!!

Hi Obee1, I have always assumed those droppings were from earwigs as I usually see them and the adult earwigs at the same time. How nice for you to see the brood with permission to open as well. Hope they are nice bees next spring, but don't judge their temperament this late in the season. Fingers crossed for you.

It was nice to see the brood in there - as regards opening up the hive - there was a talk at the honey show this year about opening hives during the winter. Ben Harden reported on a beek who opened up 15 hives through every month of the year to see if there was indeed a broodless period. Most hives had some brood every month, with November being the most likely to be broodless. None of the colonies were lost. Sorry can't link to the actual beek who did the study as Ben harden managed to crash the laptop during his talk so most of the visuals were lost - and the presentation was a little hard to follow. Interesting though.

there was a talk at the honey show this year about opening hives during the winter. Ben Harden reported on a beek who opened up 15 hives through every month of the year to see if there was indeed a broodless period.

That's all very well. It proves how well bees will struggle against all odds to survive. Don't we all do that?
And what do you do when you find what you don't expect?or do expect?
I say....do your autumn preps and leave the poor b****y bees alone to get through the winter.
This is not a crack at you obee....it's just wonderment that folk who research bother to research stuff like this.....the mind boggles and it really annoys me that beginners will think that it's OK to open hives all year.....sheeeeesh!!!!

there was a talk at the honey show this year about opening hives during the winter. Ben Harden reported on a beek who opened up 15 hives through every month of the year to see if there was indeed a broodless period.

That's all very well. It proves how well bees will struggle against all odds to survive. Don't we all do that?
And what do you do when you find what you don't expect?or do expect?
I say....do your autumn preps and leave the poor b****y bees alone to get through the winter.
This is not a crack at you obee....it's just wonderment that folk who research bother to research stuff like this.....the mind boggles and it really annoys me that beginners will think that it's OK to open hives all year.....sheeeeesh!!!!

:iagree:
well said! fiddling for the sake of fiddling to no real purpose

Latest posts

Back