Drones still present.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt77

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning all, went round my hives and put mouse guards on yesterday. All very busy & still bucket loads of pollen coming into all 4 hives. I also noticed drones were still coming & going freely in 3 out of the 4 hives. Is this indicative of a problem, not that I can do much about it now or do you think it could be a result of the warm autumn & plenty of food still coming in? I reckon my bees have been bringing ivy pollen/nectar in at this rate for 3 or 4 weeks now.

Not particularly worried just found it interesting the drones are still welcome.

Really? Oh dear. In 3 out of 4 hives though?

Oh well, not much I can do now I suppose.

Ha ha! I'll chill.

As usual the bees haven't read the script I guess.

During my inspection two weeks ago I spotted my queen and with quiet abit of sealed brood but still today I see drones flying in and out of the hive.

I wouldn't be to concerned as this time of the year, however I had drones flying in February last year from a very strong colony that went in to the winter. Spring inspection showed drone laying queen

I had drones flying in February last year from a very strong colony that went in to the winter. Spring inspection showed drone laying queen

I came across one like that early last Feb, i killed the drone laying queen and introduced a new one.

Thanks very much for the input everyone, I'll leave them to get on with it then.

Latest posts

Back