Drone Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
When a Drone mates with the Queen ,is it the separation of the drones genitals that sends the sperm into the queen.Or has the sperm already ejaculated and the loss of the genitals is the only way of separation?

Thanks Ph, but not bone idle Question.Just not a very good search showed up.
Maybe wrong wording.
But anyway i will have a read and then come back and ask some nice Questions lol

WB

It is a very simple search term.

queen drone copulation. Simple.

PH

copulation

I have had to look this word up in the dictionary and i did not use it in my search.

I use simply word like me lol

I woz wrong - apparently separation occurs after ejaculation* - according to to David Woodward's book - Queen Bee.

*Those so inclined may wish to draw parallels with human behaviour!

I am having trouble with this can someone help.
I have highlighted 2 sections ,are they saying that it is ejaculation then explode the semen . Or one or the other?

(Winston 1987). Koeniger et al. (1979), utilizing a tethered queen, report that the drone clasps the queen in a dorso-ventral position and everts his endophallus directly into the queen's sting chamber.

The drone then becomes "paralysed" and falls backwards (Koeniger et al. 1979)

. Woyke and Ruttner (1958) state the eversion of the endophallus occurs from haemostatic pressure caused by abdominal muscles. Ejaculation occurs into the bulb portion of the drone's endophallus prior to full eversion, and semen is discharged through a small opening in the bulb into the queen's vagina during copulation

(Woyke and Ruttner 1958). Winston (1987) figuratively asserts that the drones "explode" their semen into the queen's copulatory orifice, and consequently toward her oviduct. Through subsequent pressure the bow of the bulb and chitinized plates, the "mating sign," detaches from the endophallus of the drone and remains inside the queen

(Woyke and Ruttner 1958). Winston (1987) concludes this may help thwart the flow of sperm from the queen's vagina after copulation, and that it does not function as a "mating plug" used to discourage multiple matings. After the pair separate the endophallus is still fully everted with its associated strong pressure, and with loss of the "mating plug" the endophallus may burst at the tip (Woyke & Ruttner 1958). At the end of copulation, the drone falls to the ground and dies either in minutes or hours (Woyke and Ruttner 1958, Winston 1987).

If you can get hold of a copy of Jurgen Tautz's 'The bees that buzz' it is fully explained in there! A queen can often return to the hive with one of the drone's bits still in place and her attendants remove it. What I found most interesting was the fact that there was no fighting and competition in the process, each took their chance and their turn and then had their bits ripped asunder - oooh not a nice thought for all you chaps!
L

I thought the backwards somersault needed to be vigorous so as to get the endophalus past the previous lucky fellas remaining bits and to flip the first chaps tackle out all in one move

had their bits ripped asunder

*Puts down the scotch egg*

endophallus - wasnt this a character on Sesame Street?
Basically he insterts his endophallus - builds up pressure - explodes - detatches endophallus or shoots - leaves bits - goes.

Bits ripped asunder in JaneAustinease. It doth fair shatter the pelvis with the ferocity with which it comes forth, and then almost as an after thought - draaawps awf. The next drone inserts and displaces/dislodges the previous drones tackle.

Man - 25Mph
Dog - 70Mph
Bee - blows their bits off.:sifone:

Last edited:
*Puts down the scotch egg*

Basically he insterts his endophallus - builds up pressure - explodes - detatches endophallus - shoots - leaves bits - goes.

Bits ripped asunder in JaneAustinease. It doth fair shatter the pelvis with the ferocity with which it comes forth, and then almost as an after thought - draaawps awf. The next drone inserts and displaces/dislodges the previous drones tackle.

Man - 25Mph
Dog - 70Mph
Bee - blows their bits off.:sifone:

Never was your signature more- or possibly less- appropriate.

Latest posts

Back