Drone Laying Queen +Problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hello
I need you advice please as I don’t know what to do next.
I had a drone laying Queen which I killed as I was waiting on new queen coming, which got delayed. So I put in a frame of brood with eggs they started to raise a new Queen, I must have got my timing wrong there was a virgin in the hive.
The new Queen arrived I put her in the hive I tested the cage on top first they seamed happy no biting etc.
I went back to check if the Queen was laying I could find her but there was very young larve, please correct me if I’m wrong I thought a newly introduced mated queen could take up to 10 days to start laying.
On the floor of the hive I seen a ball of bees and I could hear the piping of the Queen,I picked it up ran to the house to investigate, not my queen another unmarked queen so I marked her.
I put her back in the hive I went back 4 days later, no queen only queen cells this has always been a difficult hive bees spilling out everywhere etc.
Should I shake out the bees.
I feel I’m just throwing good money after bad.
Really appreciate you advice
Thanks in advance
Sandra

Hmmm, looks like you have been listening to the wrong 'experts' some queens may take a few days or more to start laying but I ofen see them laying as soon as the bees release her.
I'm afraid this is all in hindsight, but here goes....
You shouldn't have killed the DLQ until the new one hit the doormat, queen introductions go a lot smoother if the new queen goe in seconds after the old one hits the gatepost.
OK, so we have established that your bought queen was alive and laying in the hive so your next mistake was to then throw back in that queen you saw them balling on the floor.
At a guess I'd say both queens fought it out and both lost.
I would say that QC's you have are from the eggs the new queen laid so (depending on her pedigree) the progeny won't be that bad but you have a majority of old (very old) workers left in the hive to bring up a new queen, wait for her to get mated and lay like a train for you to get young nurse bees again in the hive. How much had the new queen laid before she was scuppered?
In the end, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain so in light of no alternative, give them a go and see what happens.
But buying in another queen would be a total waste of money.

Hi
The for taking the time to answer really appreciate.There is about a palm of eggs and larve , why did they ball their own queen?Yes I made a lot of mistakes. I got this hive from a friend who said the queen was Buckfast I could never find as I found eggs and larve I was happy . Then one day out she pops black as the ace of spades , could she be another race? The queens arrived on the 29 all introduced same day all released 4May when would you recommend to check hives to see if queens are laying. I really had bad luck the company who sent the queens got the post code wrong ended up in Germany, it took 10 days for new delivery.
Thanks
Sandra

There is about a palm of eggs and larve

A palmful of new bees isn't going to have much of an effect but it may buy you enough time for the new queen they're making to mate and start laying - it is going to be a very slow buildup though.

why did they ball their own queen?
according to your account you introduced a new queen when there was probably a virgin in the hive (a virgin is a bit of a non entity to bees and largely ignored)so looks like they accepted the new queen (was she marked?) and she began laying then the bees realised they had a virgin in the hive knocking around like a spare bit in a wedding (she may even have just mated) and so decided to get rid - then you came along, rerscued her and chucked her back in the hive to scrap with the opposition. :)

Hi
Yes the queen I introduced was marked,It seems everything you shouldn’t do I’ve done.
Thanks

Back