Drone foundation in Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Hi all,
is this a silly idea?

Could we use standard worker foundation in the Brood area, BUT then above the Queen Excluder use Drone Foundation, or at least foundation with a larger cell?

My thinking is that the Drone cells actually have much more internal volume than you would expect, it would be less wax for the Bees to make and draw out when compared to a smaller worker cell, and the books claim the bees need to consume at least 10 kilos of honey to produce 1 kilo of wax, the end result is that it could result in more honey being produced, instead of wax, also the honey may be slightly easier to extract from the larger cells, and if you want to make cut comb honey, it will result in a ratio of more honey to wax.

Or is someone going to tell me that the workers will either reject it altogether or start laying their own unfertilized eggs in them!

Please go easy on me in your replies!

Sorry, I thought it was such an off the wall question I didn't even bother doing a search on the subject! I'll know better for next time.

Be aware though, if you ever decide to use that super as part of the brood laying area you will end up with many many drones! Once accidentally put drone foundation in that someone gave me, never gave it a thought until.........Ahhhhhhh!
E

Hi all,
is this a silly idea?

Yes! They will fill worker sized cells and leave drone sized cells until last.
dronecelsssuper.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's cos they are bigger and therefore take longer to fill? Just a thought!

Latest posts

Back