Part of super frame drawn as drone size cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

We're finding a reasonably small volume of wax drawn as drone size cells in our supers (max 25% of a super frame) & without fail no nectar is going into those cells which isn't that efficient.

Wondered the best way to resolve. Could the drone size cells be knocked back (without making a complete mess) to be rebuilt as normal worker cell size or should be just renew the wax in the super frame?

Thanks
Tony

It goes to show you the rubbish spouted by some of to much worker foundation, bees will draw what they want or need regardless of what we put in😂 leave them to it they’ll use it if they need to. Also a complete waste to renew the frame!

Yeah. Would prefer not to renew wax but we've got supers that are completely rammed with stores apart from the drone size cells which as dry as a bone. Not seeing a drop in any of these drone cells.

Some years ago drone foundation was popular in the supers, when I started many used it. There probably leaving it for the queen to lay in!

It goes to show you the rubbish spouted by some of to much worker foundation, bees will draw what they want or need regardless of what we put in😂 leave them to it they’ll use it if they need to. Also a complete waste to renew the frame!
:iagree:

I've had a beautifully drawn full comb of drone cells drawn on a sheet of worker brood foundation this year.
I'm thinking of saving it and swapping it in next spring so they can use that instead of making more.

Latest posts

Back