Drone Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillGM

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Inspecting today I had a normal looking colony over five frames, sealed brood, lavae and eggs but on a parallel frame, and laid over the seven days since I last inspected, to one side of the spherical colony was a whole frame of drone cells. What's going on?

Sounds stupid but you can get drone foundation. Are you SURE that it was normal cell foundation. Just a thought! It does sound unusual to get a whole frame of drone in the way you describe. Useful for culling for varroa though! Just maybe your queen knows something you don't and needs men around!

Sounds stupid but you can get drone foundation. Are you SURE that it was normal cell foundation. Just a thought! It does sound unusual to get a whole frame of drone in the way you describe. Useful for culling for varroa though! Just maybe your queen knows something you don't and needs men around!

Not a good idea to cull drones at the moment.... needed for mating?

Gill

I had exactly the same when I inspected a colony about 2 weeks ago....it wasn't a full frame of drone brood but a solid patch the same size as the patches of 'normal' brood on the other frames.
When I inspected last week, after all this good weather, there was 'normal' brood fully across seven frames with no more than average drone brood.

I think the bees had gone into emergency survival mode, after the crap April shortening the mating season, knowing the colony needed a supply of drones to survive.

just a thought....but there's always a reason for unexpected behaviour with bees

Richard

Not a good idea to cull drones at the moment.... needed for mating?
Especially the Buckfast drones, they seem to have built up far better than any others I have.

Especially the Buckfast drones, they seem to have built up far better than any others I have.

If a buckfast is a specific cross then is there really such a thing as a buckfast drone ?

If a buckfast is a specific cross then is there really such a thing as a buckfast drone ?

A flying gammon..... as my littlest one quipped the other day ( possibly knows more about bees at 6 as I did at 60!):icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back