Drawing foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi,

Just got my 2 nuc's yesterday that were transferred to my poly langstroth hive's by the supplier Saturday.

Hive 1 is on 6 frames but still drawing out two of these (I know one of these was added Friday/Saturday).

Hive 2 is on 6 frames fully drawn and I know the 6th frame was only added on Friday/Saturday too.

Edit: a the end 6 frames i have a dummy board on both hives.

I've yet to see the queen in both hives both have BIAS (bear in mind i probably shouldn't have been examining them at 6:20 this morning but the temp was 15 by me, I was eager to have a look but did it quickly had to close hive 1 half way through as they were flying a lot in my face as if to tell me close me up).

My thinking is add another frame to hive 2 possible 2. At the moment i've not put on any 1:1 sugar syrup as it was a nuc (bear in mind i've not looked fully at them yet so hard to tell exact state of stores, as my bees came from the seasonly bee inspector it should be ok for a few days).

I was hoping to use some contact feeders initially but realised they wont fit in a single super, I could use two supers though, I do have the poly ashforth style but was advised its best to use contact feeders at the moment if im putting any on. I will have to wait until saturday for contact feeders to pick some crownboards from maisem****s

With hotter weather predicted I dont know if i should just build it slowly or just add the extra frames in one go with the hotter weather.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I woud say (and i'm sure someone on here will say its not right) would be to add two more undrawn frames (I'm presuming you don't have any good drawn ones) to each colony either side of the existing ones. It will keep them busy if nothing else and will stop them building brace comb in the empty space. If they don't build up a full set of drawn frames by winter consider placing dummy boards in (like insulation) to take up the space.

You may need to feed them - but depends upon what stores they have in the first place. I have been placing chunks of apifondent into the hive to keep them topped up over the bad weather. You have to make your own judgements at times.

Sean

Sorry forgot to say that on the end i've got a dummy board.

Thanks

No dummy boards. Make some, two bits of wood the size of a brood frame with a bar on the top. Done. But I'm with the Doc. Put in frames for a full hive, there should be a nectar flow on and if you feel like they can do with a boost of syrup it's up to you, but, your supplier should be able to inform you as to whether he thinks they need it, give him a call.
Steven

Thanks - i'll try get another 2 frames added to hive 2, without knowing the full stores if i dont sort out some feed could this decremental adding them?

Am I right in thinking you cant put a contact feeder directly on top of the frames and it should sit on a crownboard? As mine is a thin plastic thing I cannot get one till Saturday unless I try the diy option at b&q tomorrow.

I've always stuck them either on top of a crown board or straight onto the qe. Don't see what difference it makes as long as the bees take it down. I use fondant alot now - much easier to handle and plonk it straight in. Then syrup in the autumn.

GEt your comb drawing in now whilst they are still doing it. It will pay off next year. THis year is a bit of a right off.

Foundation on either side of the nuc please one next to the wall, then the nuc then the rest foundation. Dummy if you like, but not between the foundation and a poly hive wall, counter productive. You don't say how many frames of brood there are so that is something to establish.

Inspecting at 6am? give them a break. You will do much more harm than good, and every inspection should be for their benefit not yours frankly.

Over enthusiasm is counter productive.

Good luck

PH

Thanks PH - I wanted to go into to make sure the frames didnt move during transit (which they had a little). But I had a quick look couldn't resist it, wont be something I make a habit of.

There was plenty of brood in different stages but didn't make a mental note due to rushing, I wont know till I do a proper inspection probably tomorrow night as I want to have the foundation with me so not to disturb them three days in a trot and also have the syrup ready should it be needed.

This is what hive 2 looked like this morning, they were good as gold too, buckfast strain I believe when I asked last night sourced from someone that mainly supplies to commercial beekeepers (he did say the name but ive forgotten so will have to ask again).

hive2.jpg

Nice pic. I would move those undrawn frames either side of the filled ones - p;lace them in the middle. Are you going to put in a sacrificial frame - usually a super to get rid of drone?

I had some buckfast this year and have now installed a buckfast queen - they appear much easier to handle. When you take the lid off they carry on doing bee type things and not flying around your head and stinging your gloves.

S

S

No need Chris. Leave them a week to settle in and get on with it. They won't come to much harm in that time and the respite from interference is important.

I am not feeding mine and they are drawing foundation for me no bother.

Patience is the major lesson the bees teach us all. ;)

PH

No need Chris. Leave them a week to settle in and get on with it. They won't come to much harm in that time and the respite from interference is important.

I am not feeding mine and they are drawing foundation for me no bother.

Patience is the major lesson the bees teach us all. ;)

PH

Ok thanks for the advice will probably leave it until Sunday weather permitting as I work during the week :) but i'll be prepared this time.

Nice pic. I would move those undrawn frames either side of the filled ones - p;lace them in the middle. Are you going to put in a sacrificial frame - usually a super to get rid of drone?

I had some buckfast this year and have now installed a buckfast queen - they appear much easier to handle. When you take the lid off they carry on doing bee type things and not flying around your head and stinging your gloves.

S

S

The frames on the side of the dummy board where only put in there for transit they dont have foundation in, I removed most of these this morning. Haven't thought about drone's yet as didnt think it would be an issue given how long it took for the queens to arrive because of the weather.

The idea of putting a super in is that it encourages the bees to build drone foundation underneath it which can then be cut away when fullish. Varroa prefer drone cells to worker so you can keep their numbers down along with your other measures. Its not compulsory though!!.

S

Latest posts

Back